DIY Wood Stove and Liner Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HuertaFarm

Oct 15, 2020
Kansas City
Hi all,

We bought a house this past Spring that has a wood burning fireplace with a clay tile lined chimney. In preparation for the Winter season we had it inspected and they said it was very clean and did not need a sweep. We've already purchased the Englander 13-NCI 1500 sq foot wood stove and it takes a 6 inch flue pipe.

Here is my issue: I plan to install the flue pipe myself as it is not difficult. Based on my measurements, the narrowest portion of our chimney has a 6.5 inch diameter (the rest of the chimney is wider). If I buy a 6 inch pipe and add the 1/2 inch of insulation that it needs, that will make it a very tight squeeze that may not fit through that narrow section of the chimney. My goal is to avoid ripping out all those clay tiles as it is in good condition and if we ever decide to move I'd like to have the option of taking our wood stove and flue with us, converting it back to a regular fireplace. We did get a quote to have someone else tear out all those tiles, but they quoted us $5,050.00! I was shocked! Plus I'd rather not make my husband spend a weekend ripping them out if we don't need to. I read another forum with a similar issue and someone said to use a 5.5 inch pipe and that since their chimney was so tall it would still work fine. But, our chimney is only 17' tall. And everyone seems to be completely against the direct connect method despite our stove's manual saying that's a good option for our stove.

Just trying to get an idea on how I should spend my money before I go buying a pipe that won't fit/work for our space. Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

We bought a house this past Spring that has a wood burning fireplace with a clay tile lined chimney. In preparation for the Winter season we had it inspected and they said it was very clean and did not need a sweep. We've already purchased the Englander 13-NCI 1500 sq foot wood stove and it takes a 6 inch flue pipe.

Here is my issue: I plan to install the flue pipe myself as it is not difficult. Based on my measurements, the narrowest portion of our chimney has a 6.5 inch diameter (the rest of the chimney is wider). If I buy a 6 inch pipe and add the 1/2 inch of insulation that it needs, that will make it a very tight squeeze that may not fit through that narrow section of the chimney. My goal is to avoid ripping out all those clay tiles as it is in good condition and if we ever decide to move I'd like to have the option of taking our wood stove and flue with us, converting it back to a regular fireplace. We did get a quote to have someone else tear out all those tiles, but they quoted us $5,050.00! I was shocked! Plus I'd rather not make my husband spend a weekend ripping them out if we don't need to. I read another forum with a similar issue and someone said to use a 5.5 inch pipe and that since their chimney was so tall it would still work fine. But, our chimney is only 17' tall. And everyone seems to be completely against the direct connect method despite our stove's manual saying that's a good option for our stove.

Just trying to get an idea on how I should spend my money before I go buying a pipe that won't fit/work for our space. Thanks in advance!
An oval liner. Installing a liner is not difficult unless it is. Most take us a couple hours but occasionally we run into ones that take us days. And that is for guys with decades of experience installing many hundreds of liners.

An oval liner. Installing a liner is not difficult unless it is. Most take us a couple hours but occasionally we run into ones that take us days. And that is for guys with decades of experience installing many hundreds of liners.

Yes, I should edit that to say 'I THINK it will be an easy install' since its a fairly straightforward chimney with only one slight bend. Would I just need to get an oval adapter to hook up the pipe to our wood stove?

Reactions: bholler
Yes, I should edit that to say 'I THINK it will be an easy install' since its a fairly straightforward chimney with only one slight bend. Would I just need to get an oval adapter to hook up the pipe to our wood stove?
Yes