Do friends/family members think you're crazy!??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
I swear, everytime I tell people ... yeah, I read about this stove on my wood-burning forum... or, yeah, I heard that is a good chainsaw from my internet forum... people look at me like I'm totally nuts! I know my wife thinks I'm crazy for using a web forum to discuss wood-burning. Every time I mention this place to her she just rolls her eyes.

Anyone else get these looks and comments?!?

Ya, I get the "there are no leprechauns in your woodpile" look, and the "Your stove is NOT a time portal" speech at least once a week.

And- And! And- if I'm drunk- why is their side of the room spinning? Huh? Answer me that, Roscoe P. Coletrain.

I did tell a co-worker who is getting a pellet stove about this site and she too is reading it too much at work, but I haven't admitted to any one else my new found addiction to hearth.com

Too bad not all addicions are this healthy. Yes, my wife thinks (KNOWS) I'm nuts but still loves me anyway

Adios Pantalones said:
Ya, I get the "there are no leprechauns in your woodpile" look, and the "Your stove is NOT a time portal" speech at least once a week.

And- And! And- if I'm drunk- why is their side of the room spinning? Huh? Answer me that, Roscoe P. Coletrain.

Well if it isn't a leprechaun in my woodpile, who's making that chomping sound that I hear every so often when I'm out there caressing and talking to my stacks of wood and tucking them in for the night by pulling the tarp over their head? . . . and they say I'm "wood crazy." :) ;)

LOL, if I were still back east, yes. However, where I live now, no--many people here would enjoy this forum. I would say 90-95 percent of the homes here have wood stoves and multiple sources of heat. It's more rural and the economy here in the best of times was nowhere near the level of that of the east coat. People never really stopped economizing here. Plus, the utilities warn you to have equipment (generators, wood stoves, etc.) to survive a week if there would be major power outages.

The Dali Lima said:
. . . Anyone else get these looks and comments?!?

Yup . . . everytime from my wife when I start any sentence off with, "Guess what I learned today while checking out hearth.com . . ."

Fortunately, not everyone is prejudiced against this addiction . . . my dad for example is actually quite interested in knowing what I have learned and read about various stoves . . . I think it's more of a "guy thing." :)

Yes, wife thinks its bizarre.

The one I always get is " You cant believe everything you read on the internet"

Every time I tell someone it really is OK to burn pine they look at me like I am ready to be committed to the luny bin.

When they ask where I learned of such lunacy and I say a forum or internet by very experienced people I get the old catch phrase.

People around here just think that burning pine is equivalent to burning your own house down and you are making a chimney dripping with pine pitch and creosote.

I have a good friend who is assistant fire chief and he tells me that almost every chimney fire they go to is the result of the home owner burning pine. He also says dont believe anything on the internet.

Interesting topic. I guess maybe it's the combination of 21st century and basically ancient technology. In addition to posting here I also post at:

www.newjerseyhunter.com
www.mytractorforum.com
www.thedieselstop.com
http://nepacrossroads.com/
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

I guess a lot of folks wouldn't think that there's much to say about tractors, hunting, tinkering, fabricating, diesel trucks, wood stoves, and coal stoves on the internet, but I wouldn't know half of what I know about any of this stuff if not for online forums. I now run my truck (Ford Powerstroke) on vegetable oil that I obtain from local restaurants and filter/dewater myself using a heated tank system that I would never have heard of if not for the Infopop biodiesel forums. Trust me, I've gotten weird looks from people when mentioning fueling my truck with vegetable oil and my house with wood and coal. After a while though (especially in this energy climate) the weird looks turn into questions like "Hey, how can I start doing that!?" :) It is a little odd to think though that I've been inspired to sort of get back to basics in a way by the one thing that has changed the world the most in the last 20 years. Through online forums I've widely expanded my knowledge base in order to rely on myself for most of my family's meat/vegetable consumption, fuel for my personal vehicle, and fuel for my home. One wouldn't really think of hunting/growing one's own food, and heating one's home with wood or coal was very 21st century, but I guess in a way it is...

My wife used to think I was nuts. I started out posting and reading on formus about 4 years ago at The Big Green Egg site. That group of people constantly cook on a ceramic smoker and post with pictures all of the meals they cooked on the egg. Well I joined this cult in 2004, hence the handle, Egghead2004. She thought I was out of my mind when I was taking pictures of FOOD and posting them on the internet, but the food was so good, complaints wre kept to a minimum.

The next wave of insanity was posting lawn pictures on garen web's lawncare forum.

Now, she thinks I'm somewhat normal...compared to the folks here who take pics of their wood piles! I love it!

Seriously, there are very few places on the web that really do share good information. Pictures are a way to explain things clearly...and brag if you've done something good.

The results around my house are clear from the help of many hundreds of people I have never met.
The home theatre spot - helped my decide on which big sceen TV to buy...and subsiquently fix it when things went wrong
Big Green Egg forums - taught me how to cook some wonderful meals and grilling/smoking techniques. We don't eat beef, salmon, or lamb at restaurants anymore.
Garden Web - lawn forum - after failing with my lawn 3 years straight, I now have one of the most beautiful lawns in town.
The Hearth- Well, I'll be attmpting to build my own hearth soon. No need to post any question since most of the info is right here. I will post pics of the progress though. I also am looking into ways to save oil for heating my hot water...I have found some good info so far.

I also am sick of hearing the "your stove is not a time capsule speech" Its the same speech every time. Yeah Yeah Yeah I know honey... and yes I am listening to you...

The Dali Lima said:
I swear, everytime I tell people ... yeah, I read about this stove on my wood-burning forum... or, yeah, I heard that is a good chainsaw from my internet forum... people look at me like I'm totally nuts! I know my wife thinks I'm crazy for using a web forum to discuss wood-burning. Every time I mention this place to her she just rolls her eyes.

Anyone else get these looks and comments?!?

I don't mention the forums.. the 13 cords of wood out back say enough....

Yeah, I was thinking of taking a picture of my recent woodpile to post here, and thought better of it... man she would REALLY think I was crazy if I was posting pictures of stacked wood!

oh yeah!!... my wife couldn't believe i was using this forum as guidelines to building a hearth, and now our heat shield....

i said to her... hey you use a betty crocker cook book to make food... i use hearth.com to make my house a warmer place...

i just hope my info from here turns out better than her cooking!!

Neighbors think I am nuts when they see me with my coffee walking around my wood piles three times a week.

The Dali Lima said:
Yeah, I was thinking of taking a picture of my recent woodpile to post here, and thought better of it... man she would REALLY think I was crazy if I was posting pictures of stacked wood!

Ha! The other night I was taking pictures of the rig I use to filter my waste vegetable oil into fuel for my truck.

Wifey: "What are you doing?"

Me: "Taking pictures of my filtering rig for the infopop forum."

Wifey: (eyes rolling) "Forget I asked..."

My wife refers to me as the squirrel that was hoarding acorns in the movie Ice Age.

However, she loves the heat in the winter, so she does not try to stop me.

Hanging out on a wood burning forum is nothing. Check out the people hanging out on the push lawn mower forums or maybe the Juan Valdez coffee drinkers forum. Now that's just crazy.

/gotta go now. A 'show me your push mower' thread just started.

Yes, my friends and family members think I'm crazy...but I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I burn wood or that I participate on this forum. %-P Rick

Ya my wife rolls her eyes every now and then from what I've read here and there on this forum and what I have to do before the cold season sets in. However, I'm more on WWW.NISSANFORUMS.COM giving advice on people with Altima / Sentra issues. You can catch me there under the same screen name LONDONDERRY

Cheers
Frank

I have silenced the people around me that thought I was crazy. Now I just wish I could do the same for the voices in my head.

My friends and family already know I'm crazy so I just get a "hu" when I tell them that I frequent a wood burning forum.

BUT ITS I WHO'LL GET THE LAST LAUGH, THATS RIGHT ME....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.