Do I have a defective stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good to hear. Is that just preheating with the fire starter? I think with a properly constructed top down you could eliminate that step too, but if you are happy with it then you are good to go.

Reactions: bigealta
Good to hear. Is that just preheating with the fire starter? I think with a properly constructed top down you could eliminate that step too, but if you are happy with it then you are good to go.
Yup just stick the fire starter on top of a top down set up.
No need for 2 steps.

Sounds like a negative pressure issue IMHO.
I do get these a few days per season. When I open the door and feel the cold air coming down the chimney causing negative pressure my solution is to crack a window open a 1/2 inch located 15 feet away, then I build my starter fire which is not top down and finish off my starter fire with a additional 5-6 sheets of slightly crumbled newspaper on top which quickly heats up the chimney and pushes the cold air back up and out negating the down draft and immediately increasing chimney draft, I will close the window 3-5 minutes after start up.
Note that I only get negative pressure down draft when not burning 24/7, when there is heat in the stove no down draft from chimney occurs.