Do I need a block-off plate in my situation ? ( Interior chimney)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RemiB

Nov 20, 2022
France
Hi everyone,

first off, sorry if i make some mistakes, English is not my first language.

I am going to get a wood insert installed in place of my open fireplace.

The installer says he won't put a block-off plate in the damper area.

He says he will insulate the fireplace area with Rockwool, including above in the damper area, and he will put a plate on the extreme top of the chimney (the part above the roof).

My chimney is located exactly in the center of the house, against 2 walls made of stones ( I live in a farmer style old french house with the wall made of stones, even the interior ones).

What do you guys think ? Is the installer right about the plate ?

The chimney goes up the first floor near 2 bedrooms, so perhaps I might actually could use some heat if the chimney gets hot.

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone,

first off, sorry if i make some mistakes, English is not my first language.

I am going to get a wood insert installed in place of my open fireplace.

The installer says he won't put a block-off plate in the damper area.

He says he will insulate the fireplace area with Rockwool, including above in the damper area, and he will put a plate on the extreme top of the chimney (the part above the roof).

My chimney is located exactly in the center of the house, against 2 walls made of stones ( I live in a farmer style old french house with the wall made of stones, even the interior ones).

What do you guys think ? Is the installer right about the plate ?

The chimney goes up the first floor near 2 bedrooms, so perhaps I might actually could use some heat if the chimney gets hot.

Thanks in advance
Insulation is ok. A plate would be better for sure but not a big deal

Insulation is ok. A plate would be better for sure but not a big deal
thank you so much for you answer,

concerning the back and side, do you think I should stick with the insulation, or should I not put anything and let the stone wall absorb some heat to be redistributed later on ? Or it doesn't change anything ?

thank you

thank you so much for you answer,

concerning the back and side, do you think I should stick with the insulation, or should I not put anything and let the stone wall absorb some heat to be redistributed later on ? Or it doesn't change anything ?

thank you
With your fireplace being interior you wouldn't gain much from insulating behind the stove other than getting heat out faster. Without insulation any heat lost to that masonry will still ultimately end up in the house

I have a similar question. I had a mason/chimney sweep out to give me a quote on a wood insert install. Cape Cod/center chimney. He said he would not do a block off plate (despite Napoleon’s manual calling for one-and that the top plate at the chimney top would suffice. He said that block off plates can actually cut the liner from expansion and contraction.

He DID say that the liner must be insulated if it was attached to a wood burning appliance. I’m thinking this is because Homesaver liners call for such.

Just thought it interesting that he’d follow the Homesaver guidelines and poo poo the Napoleon specs.

What to do??