Do I need a damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Foggy Mtn

Jan 8, 2022
Tennessee
I have a hearthstone shelburne with 24’ double wall pipe no bends. It’s 45 out and my air is pushed all the way in and I’m getting good rolling flames on half a load of dry cherry. Also had to clean the cat after one month of burning due to ash clogging it up. I only want to hear from the experts lol. Will a damper help and if so exactly what can I expect it to help with.

I have a hearthstone shelburne with 24’ double wall pipe no bends. It’s 45 out and my air is pushed all the way in and I’m getting good rolling flames on half a load of dry cherry. Also had to clean the cat after one month of burning due to ash clogging it up. I only want to hear from the experts lol. Will a damper help and if so exactly what can I expect it to help with.
What pipe temps are you seeing

Can you stick a magnetic thermometer on your pipe about 18 inches above the stove or hit it with an IR gun? With double wall, I think you double the reading. (Or is that single wall?) Someone will correct me, but we can get a general idea.

Magnetic or ir does not give useful info on double wall. A probe is the only way.

If ash is clogging the cat, the I do think a damper could be appropriate.

Yes, based on the description, I would try a damper in the stovepipe.