do i need to clean the first few feet of flue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
hey guys.
my insulated flex runs down the internal stone/brick chimney, right past the old fireplace damper to the black stove pipe adaptor and into the stove. no T
chimney is ~14' all but 2.5ft of which is internal. (only the top 2 ft is exposed on the roof.
when i lean from the top down, i get nervous about the brush making the bend @ the damper, afraid i'll rip something.

If i look from the stove side, there is only some light brown powder visible on the walls
i never really have any creosote expect on the cap, and a smidge near the top.
do I really need to go all the way down when cleaning?
i normally bring the brush as far as i can until i get some resistance, then go down and vaccumm by sticking the hose through the stove and out the rear into the pipe. never really a lot, even some of my wood is not so seasoned, but i think since it stays hot since its internal and insulated, and i always run the stove ~500.
do you think i will develop a problem if i dont clean all the way to the old damper cut out? its only like2-3 ft from the stove exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.