Do I need to insulate my linear.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
I am leaning toward installing a Wood-stove in front of my fireplace vs and insert. I like the Hearthstone and Woodstock soapstone stoves. I will run a SS flex linear down the existing chimney. The existing chimney is approx 50 years old, in the center of the house, 3 flues, 2 for fireplaces and one for the oil furnace. The flue for the living room where the stove will go is the middle flue, 12" X 12", it has the terracotta inner and at least 3 bricks thick outside of that. The height of the chimney is 16'. With the top cap of the linear and I was going to seal up the bottom there the damper was, do I need really need to insulate the linear. I forgot, that fireplace has never has a fire in it. Thanks

Technically - if the chimney is in good shape and passes a Level II inspection, meeting the NFPA 211 guidelines, then and only then can it NOT be insulated. If the liner is installed without the insulation wrap it does not meet the UL 1777 listing. Then you are relying on the existing masonry structure to meet NFPA 211 and hold up to a chimney fire. Without the insulation its only purpose is to re-size the flue down to 6", it does not really add any decent measure of safety to the system.

In the end its your call I guess, just giving you the technical information.

Sound to me that for saftey that I should go with the insulated linear. That would be the safest way. Thanks

I just did an installation similiar to what your talking about (soapstone in front of fireplace) and did it with an uninsulated liner. I've had no problems with draft and I find that it's plenty safe.

Although, the benefits would be improved draft and a really really safe chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.