Do I need to treat my water? Suggestions please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Operator125

Oct 31, 2019
Indiana
I am preparing to scrap my old 3/4 pex-al-pex lines supplying my plate exchanger and H-coil replacing them with 1" pex to up my gpm.
I live in southern Indiana and I'm getting ready to prepare the furnace to the season. I have a KB 125 Hardy with 85 gallon capacity. I installed the furnace in 2014 and filled it with tap water. I am thinking about draining the system before the install and filling with new water. Question is do I need to add a treatment to the new water?
I will cycle vinegar through the H-Coil and the Plate exchanger while I have the plumbing removed to hopefully achieve peak performance.
And advice?

I don't have a boiler...do run one at work though...personally, I'd treat it.

The 304 SS in the Hardy is more tolerant of lack of treatment than some, but I'd still use it. Protects pumps, prevents weird electrolysis issues.
I've never seen a KB125 in action. Would love to see pics.

Is there a particular reason for draining? If not I'd be tempted to leave it.

Also hoping you are using proper insulated piping
No particular reason, just want to insure longevity. I started out with the cheap wrapped lines then upgraded to thermopex in 2018.

The 304 SS in the Hardy is more tolerant of lack of treatment than some, but I'd still use it. Protects pumps, prevents weird electrolysis issues.
I've never seen a KB125 in action. Would love to see pics.
I will post some pics/ videos to give you a look.
I'm very satisfied with the unit. It's become a second marriage. I will probably drain and flush the system then purchase some treatment.