Do you cut in the woods during hunting season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drunken hunting in WI you must be kidding I have only seen it in Il and SD next you'll be telling me drunken fishing also takes place !!!
Opening weekend for deer and pheasant I would not go out in the woods unless I am hunting even on my own land . We live along a river and have about 20ac of land (not ours) right behind our property and its not legal to hunt there but that sure as heck doesn't mean there's not any hunters.
Just a few years ago my wife looked up from doing some fall garden cleanup and there were two hunters walking out from the trail behind our house with shotguns !!
Not sure but they might have even been drunk!!

We got some real winners around here. My llittle 5 acres is a sliver in between two large parcels (5000 and 800 acres) and when the first shots of muzzle season hit its a non-stop highway for the deer gettin' out of Dodge. The first year 10+ dudes in cammo show up in my driveway asking to put up blinds. The house was vacant for two years, so its been a challenge ferreting them out of the woods every fall. Put up signs, get torn down. I swear my address must be on a map somewhere.

Which sign?

S-2.jpg

or

2903.GIF

I'm not trying to down all hunters, but when someone shows up in early Oct. with a bag of carrots and a squirt gun full of doe urine (AND MASS PLATES) I'm not not impressed.

"You can't stop us from hunting here"
"You should do a better job of clearing brush right through here."
"Can my son use your bathroom."
"Can I use your bathroom."
"Can I plug in my cell phone."
"Can my kid plug in his PSP."
"We didn't know. Yeah, we didn't know last year either."
"Can I use your hose to wash off? Get a drink? Sure thing, I'll be back with that venison when hell freezes over.

came across a brand spankin new $300 tree stand while cutting this week . . . ended up being some downstater that had never been in the woods before. He said he didn't know where the property line was . . . I asked him what he thought of that barbed wire fence he crossed . . . gotta love it when they are left speechless!

my cousin lives in new hampshire,some pos shot her horse right in the chest with an arrow.the horse was in a small fenced in area right by her house.they knew what they where shooting at.they where not caught but the horse pulled through.

I am fortunate to have a small group of guys rent our farm for hunting. They tell me that our cutting has zero impact on their hunting. We have an active farm, with tractors and irrigation pumps running year round, so maybe our deer are accustomed to motors running. Anyway, our renters cut many trees each year for their food plots and they haul the logs out, so I can spend days bucking trees cut and partially seasoned. Nice!!!

I dont go out cutting during open season, heck i dont like being in the tractor anymore, to many gun happy city boys that dont have any business owning a gun around anymore. Our farm is the same, the deer here are used to everything moving around, and with harvest going their not scared of anything right now. On that note my 13 yr old daughter got her first buck this morning off the combine, a real big 8 pointer, she was on top off the world till i showed her how to dress it, if she kills it, she cuts it. Sorry proud dad here. JD

i dont cut during hunting season not for safety reasons (i dont usually go deep in the woods, just along the edge) mostly out of respect for the hunters. im sure deer arent too fond of chainsaws...

I'd hesitate to cut in the woods during the rifle antlered deer season, especially the first couple of weekends. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. i probably would wear some blaze orange, just in case. I don't think cutting wood would have any great impact on hunting, unless you happened to be cutting right near somebody's tree stand. It would have no impact on small game hunters, who move around anyway. I have flushed grouse 100 yards from guys cutting timber, so I don't think animals are too concerned about the noise or disturbance (no, I wasn't hunting 100 yards from a lumberjack, just running past on the trails).

Hunting season in NJ runs from the second week in Sept to second week in Feb. It is bow all of those months, muzzle, permit shotgun, doe days, six day firearm etc etc. So yes I cut wood during hunting season. I have seen more deer while cutting wood that I can shake a stick at. They must know you are not a threat when they hear the saw or see you working. I would not intentionally go and drop trees near where someone was sitting but where I cut wood is private land and no one should be sitting there anyway.
I was on the lake fishing with my two youngest kids last week and there was a few guys hunting small game on the side of the lake. My daughter got nervous at first when she heard the shots, but we made enough noise that the hunter knew we were on the lake.

I think it is OK to cut, but not early morning, or sunset. And if I know a hunter is near where I am planning on cutting, I will move away. I think the saw noise keeps me safe, the hunters hear it and head the other way figuring the deer are doing the same. The hunters are out here mostly watching out for each other, so if I wear orange, and don't use the hat with the antlers that my wife is trying to convince me to wear, I think I'm OK.

Jack Straw said:
With big game season coming I was wondering how many of you take a break for safety reasons. My wife mentions it from time to time, but I still want to cut wood.

Are you crazy?

No reason you can't hunt and process wood...deer are often attracted to noise or they may just be curious creatures. Often times over the years I catch 'em watching me cut grass, process wood, run the brush hog, operating a backhoe etc. Mosty I guess it's a repetitive activity they grow use to and will approach to check it out. Farmers will have a weapon while spreading in season...of course I suppose local hunting pressure also factors into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.