Do you grow a WINTER beard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Anyone here grow a winter beard? I did my first REAL beard last year and thought I'd give it another go this year. at the age of 32 now, i think puberty has finally set in so it isn't patchy like it used to be. My grandpa always claimed that we have native American in our blood, thus the lack of chest hair and any substantial facial hair, he was a fibber, but I certainly am not growing any Tom Selleck type mustaches.

When do you start growing? i just started mine this last weekend. We always take a family picture out at the timber to send out for Christmas, so I couldn't be too scraggly for that (took it on Sunday). I want it to look like I'm doing it on purpose by Thanksgiving or at least by Christmas, but It grows so slow I dunno if it'll be ready until February, lol.

I grow a Winter beard....all year long!

I could never do the 4 seasons beard. You don't really how much warmth they provide UNTIL YOU SHAVE IT OFF. I can only imagine how miserable I'd be in mid august with a beard....

I grew one back in '88 when I was working out of town on construction. I tan pretty dark and with the beard I looked like a Iraqi terrorist. When I came home the airport was on high alert after the Lockerbie flight 103 bombing and they gave me lots of grief. Supposedly though, suicide bombers shave when they are getting ready to meet their maker. When I got home, my son was afraid of me and so I shaved it off and haven't tried since.

I grow them fast and thick but I just don't like it. Looks goofy but the biggest thing is that if I get a chunk of sawdust or whatever on my eyelash then I can blow it off with a bald face. With a beard the whiskers block me from being able to blow wind across my upper head.

This august I decided that its time for a winter beard. My first, and I have to say it makes these fall rides on the motorcycle much better.

Yes, start one week before hunting season.

Jesus said:
Jags said:
I grow a beard about once a week. Sometimes I'll let it go for two weeks, but thats about it.
ya but 2 wks is a tough shave!= how?

I use clippers first, then razor.

About a week into mine. I always get extra scruffy this time of year, but I don't think I'll be letting it go much longer.

Danno77 said:
I could never do the 4 seasons beard. You don't really how much warmth they provide UNTIL YOU SHAVE IT OFF. I can only imagine how miserable I'd be in mid august with a beard....
It's not so bad. In mid August I cut wood, milk the cows, ride my bicycle, and do all the regular stuff; in bib overalls and beard. I haven't always had a beard, so I know the difference between beard and no beard. You get used to it. I grew up in a family where most of the men had beards (some of the older women too).

I do not. Chromosomally challenged...

But I like beards, all year 'round. Are they really "warmer"?

Bobbin said:
I do not. Chromosomally challenged...

But I like beards, all year 'round. Are they really "warmer"?

I don't think it's insulating in any way, just seems to keep the wind from feeling so cold. One theory of mine is that the nerves on the whiskers get desensitized. The second week of beard always seems to ache a little, but then it's fine. That sounds kind of stupid when I write it down...

Bobbin said:
Are they really "warmer"?
Not really too much warmer. It blocks the wind on the chin and cheeks somewhat, which helps a little outside doing the chores and such in the Winter if not wearing a face mask anyway. In the Summer it also shades the sun a little on my face. I never get a sunburn under my beard. If beards were that warm, we wouldn't be able to wear one in the house!

Another "all year long" here. I do sometimes trim it in the summer. I let it grown long in the spring for the Renaissance Faire and in the winter 'cuz the (Asian immigrant) owner of the Deli downstairs can't pronounce "Sequoia" so he calls me Santa Clause. Mebbe I'll dye it white the week of Xmas this year.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Being a career firefighter, I am not allowed to sport one. Although, I just got back from a 2 1/2 week bird hunting trip all over Michigan and did not shave once. For a mostly Greek heritage, I have red and blond facial hair, that does not match my dark brown hair. Believe me, when I returned home, I stayed away from school zones........hahaha

Capt said:
Being a career firefighter, I am not allowed to sport one. Although, I just got back from a 2 1/2 week bird hunting trip all over Michigan and did not shave once. For a mostly Greek heritage, I have red and blond facial hair, that does not match my dark brown hair. Believe me, when I returned home, I stayed away from school zones........hahaha
I hear ya on the red and blonde hairs. it seems that I have more dark hairs the older I get, but a few years ago if you looked at it it was kinda weird how many their were. They are still there, they are just fewer percentage wise.

I don't shave. I do trim it in the summer sometimes.

Going on 20-odd years w/ out barbershop or home cutting... It has gotten longer since I quit smoking my pipe, as I used to get it with the lighter every once in a while :red: Saves me a good bit of money, and it is nice on the bike cause it slows down the bullet bugs... Best of all, it gives me a good place to store my between meal snacks...

Me being political - (BTW, it's even longer in the back...)

Gooserider

Attachments

• art-meetup.jpg
    art-meetup.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 588
I tried growing a beard this summer before we went to the Boundary Waters. I couldn't stand it and it was all patchy and crappy. I kept a soul patch going now for a couple weeks though.

Gooserider said:
Saves me a good bit of money...
IKWYM... the cost of razor blades these days. I cut back to shaving three times a week when I'm working and about once a week when I'm home.

Like "Capt" no beards on our volunteer fire dept. if you are interior qualified. SCBAs will not seal properly. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.