Do you grow a WINTER beard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, grow a new one every two weeks, just like in the summer. I hate shaving, but I don't like having a beard either.

Anyone use a straight razor? I am willing to try anything at this point. (half portagese)

Dune said:
Yep, grow a new one every two weeks, just like in the summer. I hate shaving, but I don't like having a beard either.

Anyone use a straight razor? I am willing to try anything at this point. (half portagese)

I use a straight razor to go from full beard to smooth, so about once a year, and it's pretty good for that purpose. It's too scary to use more than that. My wife bought it for me years ago, and my grandfather said, "is she trying to get rid of you?" I use regular gillettes (no mach 14s, or whatever), or an electric most of the year.

Do you have any trouble keeping it sharp?That is the only thing I am worried about.

quads said:
Danno77 said:
I could never do the 4 seasons beard. You don't really how much warmth they provide UNTIL YOU SHAVE IT OFF. I can only imagine how miserable I'd be in mid august with a beard....
It's not so bad. In mid August I cut wood, milk the cows, ride my bicycle, and do all the regular stuff; in bib overalls and beard. I haven't always had a beard, so I know the difference between beard and no beard. You get used to it. I grew up in a family where most of the men had beards (some of the older women too).

I'm just getting ready to grow one out. Do it every year. Keeps me warmer when i'm picking milk up at the farms. You milk 'em , I'll be along to pick it up.
-

Lost most of the hair on top of my head, seems like it has fallen off and reattached itself in patches on my back. WTF?

flyingcow said:
Lost most of the hair on top of my head, seems like it has fallen off and reattached itself in patches on my back. WTF?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shari

flyingcow said:
quads said:
Danno77 said:
I could never do the 4 seasons beard. You don't really how much warmth they provide UNTIL YOU SHAVE IT OFF. I can only imagine how miserable I'd be in mid august with a beard....
It's not so bad. In mid August I cut wood, milk the cows, ride my bicycle, and do all the regular stuff; in bib overalls and beard. I haven't always had a beard, so I know the difference between beard and no beard. You get used to it. I grew up in a family where most of the men had beards (some of the older women too).

I'm just getting ready to grow one out. Do it every year. Keeps me warmer when i'm picking milk up at the farms. You milk 'em , I'll be along to pick it up.
-

Ha ha ha! I know that feeling. The only place I can grow hair above my neck is on my chin and in my nose!

Dune said:
Do you have any trouble keeping it sharp?That is the only thing I am worried about.

I found a pair of old razor strops in the basement of a house I rented once. They do the trick. One has a raised pattern, and the other smooth. I think an old belt would work though. A good straight razor is easy to keep sharp. I don't use it much though, obviously. It's mostly ceremonial.

4 season beard here, ever since I got out of high school (damn Catholics...) and as for the summer heat issue previously discussed: I think that the beard keeps you cooler thanks to the wicking of sweat, which helps keep your face cool via evaporative cooling. It's like having a sexy ass swamp cooler on your face!

lol

I have had a beard since 1972 and one full time since 1975, I keep it trimmed in the summer thenlet it grow for huntin and trim it a bit during winter so i am not mistaken for a hermit... I am one hansome man....

actually it's more like a winter goatee.

I can't grow a beard . . . not allowed per work rules . . . even though I don't actually work on the line. However, I still am a volunteer so to be honest, a beard would be a problem with the air pack.

Danno77 said:
....at the age of 32 now, i think puberty has finally set in so it isn't patchy like it used to be....

I'm nearly 40 and I'm still waiting for full puberty. All I can grow is a goatee. Still comes in all patchy on my cheeks so I stay with the goatee year 'ruond since '03. I shave weekly for that Maimi Vice look. Maybe when I'm 50, I'll be able to grow a real beard. I had a friend in high school who had a full beard at 15! I guess that Mediterranean blood helps.

i have grown the beard in winters past, and summer, and, well, every season at one point or another. I'm blessed/cursed to be able to grow a full beard in what seems like minutes (in actuallity its a week) so I rotate between facial hair options. Right now I'm rockin the soul patch with mutton chops and growing the hair long to complete the John Lennon (circa 1969) look. The full beard was just fine for me until we got cats. Our orange cat thinks rubbing his face into the beard is the bestest. I think gobs of orange and white fur clumping on your face is not so cool. I never noticed any difference in the warm weather, but the beard is super cool in the cold, and its a great soup catcher/liquor sponge.

I'm trying anyway-it's been one week today and the goatee is looking good but the area between my chin and ears is lacking. We'll see how it looks if I can hold out for another week-the itchiness gets to me sometimes.

I have had a full beard since 9-73 and it was red then, now its all white. I have kept it all these years to cover up the ugly. :)

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I have had a full beard since 9-73 and it was red then, now its all white. I have kept it all these years to cover up the ugly. :)

Shipper

I'm reading that as- You've had a beard since you were 9 in 1973. Wow! How cool is that to be able to grow a beard when you're 9!

Delta-T said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

I'm reading that as- You've had a beard since you were 9 in 1973. Wow! How cool is that to be able to grow a beard when you're 9!
I thought when I put in the 9-73 it was self explanatory? I was only 23 then but had been shaving since I was around 16 I guess. ;-)

Shipper

my bad shipper, no insult intended. Still would be crazy IF you did have a beard when you were 9. I always miss the obvious stuff.

firefighterjake said:
I can't grow a beard . . . not allowed per work rules . . . even though I don't actually work on the line. However, I still am a volunteer so to be honest, a beard would be a problem with the air pack.

Likewise here! Can't be an interior firefighter or use a SCBA safely.

NewImage.jpg
Told you i was one handsome man... ;-)

im just starting my winter beard now ,99% of the time im clean cut (im 31)but this season im going to give her a try (wife hates it so far)
i figure if anything ill save some money because im sure the dems will likely soon tax our razors

Yes, the dems. will find a way to tax even more, as they spend much more.

As long as we woodburners are not taxed!

We should instead receive beard growth (for energy savings) and
low petroleum use (for woodburning) annual federal tax credits.

Valhalla said:

Of course, the D's only boost the taxes that the R's didn't raise FIRST.... The late Cal Warburton of the NH House, when he switched to the LP pointed out the significant difference between the D's and R's -

The D's say they need more money, raise taxes, and borrow to make up the difference when the taxes don't bring in enough.

The R's say they need more money, borrow it, and then raise taxes to pay back the loans...

Remember, for all they complain about smoking, and treat smokers as third class citizens, (they used to make blacks sit at the back of the bus, they won't let a smoker ON the bus...) Big gov't makes more than 10x as much money on a pack of cigarettes as big tobacco does... I doubt the situation today is all that much different on razor blades...

Gooserider

Valhalla said:

Firewood may soon be taxed if Tom Vilsack ( head douchebag at USDA) has his way. He wants to require all transported wood to be kiln dried. Last I checked kiln dried firewood is taxed.

Aaaaand the beard,,,, ya , it's gettin thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.