Do you have a thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron I have the same issue with my Quad Castile. Mine stove cycles off and quite a few times it starts up again before the cast iron parts have cooled.
Last season I purchased a Honeywell and it does not have the adjustable swing that I feel I need. I promised myself a new thermostat this season.

I have been looking at the LUX brand sold in Lowe's they are supposed to have a much better swing agjustment.

smalltown said:
Aaron I have the same issue with my Quad Castile. Mine stove cycles off and quite a few times it starts up again before the cast iron parts have cooled.
Last season I purchased a Honeywell and it does not have the adjustable swing that I feel I need. I promised myself a new thermostat this season.

I have been looking at the LUX brand sold in Lowe's they are supposed to have a much better swing agjustment.

I have a LUX and I highly recommend it. Get the one with the blue LED lighting, I have two of them.

JBiBBs5 what model do you have and how much can you vary the swing?

smalltown said:
JBiBBs5 what model do you have and how much can you vary the swing?

I have the TX1500E and you can vary the swing number value anywhere between 1-9. Definitely worth the $30 I spent.

Aaron Pasteris said:
Pellet stove is in a 26'x26' family room - On all but the coldest days the stove will cook you out even on the lowest setting so I run it on a thermostat.

Just wish I could find a low priced one with a 2-4° differential (stove cycles too often)

My el cheapo Ritetemp for $25 - 29 has the differential. I don't see it on-line on Home Depot, though. I haven't looked lately at the store to see if they still carry them.
My wife would kill me if I put a 4* diff on there. Realistically, it would be about a 10-12 degree swing if you have 'on/off' setting on the stove.

My Skh Tech remote thermostat has a swing of 1-3 degrees. Again, only used in the shoulder season. I dont like the sway in temp at 2 to 3 degrees and a 1 degree swing, my stove barely shuts off, before cycling back on. Also saves a lot of wear and tear on the ignitor...

4 tons a yr and 76* in the house isnt bad for 2,200 sq and about 3-4 months of 24-7 burning.

IHATEPROPANE said:
Are they easy to install? Mine has 2 screws to attach the wires. Buy how do i know which wire to which screw?
Thanks in advance

Very easy to install. Just one black and one white connection.

I installed my Tstat myself while the installer put the stove in.

The only two connections you need are the W and the Rh (or R). That's the contact that closes to start the stove.

I dont have a thermostat. We wanted to wait for a season and see how the stove does. Looks to me like I dont need one, I have 5 settings (feed rates and blower combi) to use on the stove and a 'constant on' does the trick (fairly open floor plan probably makes a difference here). We turn it down to a low setting when leaving the house and ramp it up when back home. costs two clicks on the panel per day, plus some clicks if the temperature gets too hot or too cool. Not sure why a thermostat circling between high and low would make much difference.

A remote one seems to cost quite a chunk of money (just did some searching for a second thermostat in the beasement for my oil forced air that will keep the basement from freezing), I saw stuff around 150 USD. I ended up with a Honeywell and 50ft of wire for about 30 USD. The difference is about half a ton of pellets / 25 bags.

I guesstimate I will use about 175 bags this season - so the thermostat would have to safe me 10-15 percent in consumption to break even (material only) - kind a doubt that a thermostat could save me that much pellet in one season....maybe in 2-3 ?

My 2 cents

No Tstat, No igniter, I'm a real Pellet PIG!

Riddle Master Morgon said:
I dont have a thermostat. We wanted to wait for a season and see how the stove does. Looks to me like I dont need one, I have 5 settings (feed rates and blower combi) to use on the stove and a 'constant on' does the trick (fairly open floor plan probably makes a difference here). We turn it down to a low setting when leaving the house and ramp it up when back home. costs two clicks on the panel per day, plus some clicks if the temperature gets too hot or too cool. Not sure why a thermostat circling between high and low would make much difference.

A remote one seems to cost quite a chunk of money (just did some searching for a second thermostat in the beasement for my oil forced air that will keep the basement from freezing), I saw stuff around 150 USD. I ended up with a Honeywell and 50ft of wire for about 30 USD. The difference is about half a ton of pellets / 25 bags.

I guesstimate I will use about 175 bags this season - so the thermostat would have to safe me 10-15 percent in consumption to break even (material only) - kind a doubt that a thermostat could save me that much pellet in one season....maybe in 2-3 ?

My 2 cents

I consider it more of a convenience thing than savings. Really just comes down to personal preference.

On most stoves, I don't think so. The St. Croix has a setting that goes HI/LO, but if it's on LO for an hour, it shuts the stove off. It will relight the stove when heat is called for.

Sorry JBiBBs5, I misread who was figuring the thermostat wouldn't help much in the savings department.

Riddle Master ....

You might want to run that savings calculation again. The thermostat should be a buy once use for many seasons thing.

Just saying.

IHATEPROPANE said:
If the stove is off but in HI/LO mode would the t-stat turn it on and then cycle between hi/lo? I feel that would be ideal

AFAIK, No for the Enviro's. The stat only turns the stove on in Auto. The stove has to be on when you switch to hi/lo. I made the mistake of putting my Omega in hi/lo with the stove off last winter. When the stat called for heat the stove didn't turn on. I put it in auto and it started up. Once started I put it in hi/lo. I tried it a couple of times and no go. You can also hit the start button and the stove will go into start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.