Do you keep your stove lit all night?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am asking more for my wife. I am not at home, and she is trying to learn how to use the stove. What to set it at during the night. I really do not like the Harman settings, the dials are hard to read and dial in. Oh well, hope she gets used to it soon.
We have a Harman accentra insert.

I only installed it in January of 2012 and last winter was mild, so we turned it on as needed.
I feel confident enough to run it through the night if we need to.

Bill

Well, I am asking more for my wife. I am not at home, and she is trying to learn how to use the stove. What to set it at during the night. I really do not like the Harman settings, the dials are hard to read and dial in. Oh well, hope she gets used to it soon.
We have a Harman accentra insert.

I love my XXV, but the Harman controls suck. Someday they'll make that big, bold leap into 1990 ...

24/7 - that's the beauty of pellets - in the coldest part of the season, you might burn a bag a day - so $5. to have constant even heat. I put my stove on "stove temp" versus "room temp", which ensures my entire house is the same temperature all day long.

Depending on where you sleep, the stove running at night may scare the hell out of you the first few times you wake up.

Mine is an insert, and our bedroom is off the living room where it's installed. Several times I would wake up at 02:00 and see the light of flames dancing on the wall and it would scare the hell out of me.

Or you would come home from grocery shopping at 18:00 on a Sunday and see the light glowing through the windows and it would make you stop for a second.

After a while it becomes a very reassuring sight.

I leave mine set to the t-stat. I have the stat 15' away on the other side of the chimney/house that it vents into. It assures a fairly even temp.

My home is usually only cold late at night but mostly in the morning due to solar gain during the day. SO i need to start my fire late at night and let it burn out by morning.

Install according to manual and its probably safer than your clothes dryer.

I actually dont leave my house with the dryer running...... But I will leave for 2 days and let the stove start and stop. According to what the stat is set at.

There are lots of members who were nervous at 1st... And that makes you cautious. If you were not nervous, that would scare us more. Its the people who are cocky and complacent that have a lot of issues (read: Those that dont read the manual and worry).

This, exactly. I won't go to bed or leave teh house with the dryer on, but the stove, I'm OK.

Reactions: DexterDay
Mine will BOTH go 24/7 probably from the middle of November thru the end of March. The P43 gets a maintenance shut down every three weeks. The P61A every 4.

Daksy,
I'm considering a P43. Do you scrape the burn pot once a day? Do you do any cleaning between the three week shutdowns? Sounds pretty sweet!

I run mine 24/7 except to clean on Sunday AM. You'll get over the fear of it. After all; your oil or other furnace runs all day, it has a fire in the box as well.

24/7 first with countryside,then bixby now this year Harman pc45's . One in the basement and a used one in the garage. Full time burning multifuel since 2003. No furnace since 2005. Have a smaller Dovre gas stove for backup that cost me $100 with venting. The savings on the stove will pay for a lot gas even though it's not real high efficiency of a furnace. 200 gallons of propane lasts over two seasons and is great for shouldering and power outages. Last heating season used only 25 gallons.

Daksy,
I'm considering a P43. Do you scrape the burn pot once a day? Do you do any cleaning between the three week shutdowns? Sounds pretty sweet!

Hey, SteveB...I scrape the burnpot about every other day, maybe every 3 - 4 bags or so. Depends on how much I'm putting thru it. Once a week I'll scrape the accordion up top & maybe twice a week I'll use some Speedy White on the glass...When I scrape the "Harman Speedbump" outta the burnpot, I also move the fly ash from where it catches on either side, into the ash pan. HTH

I just let mine run overnight for the first time last weekend. Previous to my new Harman, I had a Lopi FoxFire and unless it was very, very cold outside, I would never run it overnight or during the day if I wasn't home for the entire day. Two days this week now I've run the new Harman 24/7 on Room Temp. with manual light. It got pretty cold here in upstate, NY last night and it was pretty comfortable getting up this morning and the stove still running. I turned it way down this morning but left it running as I left for work. It's only supposed to get up to 58 degrees today so I figured I'd keep it going. Interestingly enough, I just had my oil tank filled yesterday with 133 gallons of fuel oil. $466.12 cents was my bill. I'm hoping with the new Harman running 24/7 this heating season that it'll be the only fill -up I'll need this year. At $3.55 a gallon for fuel oil, it'll be a pricey winter otherwise.....

Typical working family with kids and school..........pets at home all day.

Typical week for us is, Friday after getting home from work we will light the stove and it stays on till Monday morning when we go back to work/school. Then every night around 5pm when we get home from work the stove is lit and we will turn it off each morning before we leave for work again.

80% of my heat comes from pellets but also have oil heat, now natural gas since I recently converted. I can supplement with a little gas heat to heat the house up right when we get home each day during the week until the pellet stove is hot enough to maintain temp.

Typical winter I burn about 2 tons of pellets and 300 gallons of oil, now it will be about 2 tons of pellets with some natural gas as well.

With this being my first year with a pellet stove, I am wondering if you keep your stove lit all night? Or do you shut it down and start it in the morning?
Where we are, it is getting down to -10C (14F) outside overnight. When we get up in the morning it is between 14C (57F) - 16C (61F)

During the winter mine only gets shut down for cleaning, other then that it is running 24/7

Hey, SteveB...I scrape the burnpot about every other day, maybe every 3 - 4 bags or so. Depends on how much I'm putting thru it. Once a week I'll scrape the accordion up top & maybe twice a week I'll use some Speedy White on the glass...When I scrape the "Harman Speedbump" outta the burnpot, I also move the fly ash from where it catches on either side, into the ash pan. HTH

Ok thanks Bob, sounds good to me!

BrianN,
I burn two pellet stoves 24/7 during the heating season. We've gone out of town for about a day and a half several times with them burning on low while we're gone. Keep it cleaned and maintained and it should treat you well!

Steve

24/7 when it's cold out baby. As you've heard, we all were scared newbs at the beginning.

You leave it on even if you leave your house for hours at a time?

<-----Scared newbie. LOL

You leave it on even if you leave your house for hours at a time?.....
Yes, the stat controls it. Turns On-Off (or changes from Hi-Lo during real cold weather) even while I'm at work and house is empty.....gotta keep the dog warm too! ==c

I definitely run it all night, there's nothing like getting out of a warm bed and freezing you arse off, plus the stove won't warm the house enough before I leave for work. ALSO there are 3 females in the house (my better half, my littler half and mother-in-law half) and I don't think I would be alive today if I shut down the stove overnight and they got up with those temps. Now I will shut down the stove in the morning when we are leaving for the day IF the outside temps are supposed to get into the high 50's / low 60's for the day and my wife will turn it back on when she gets home. Otherwise I'll run it on low during the day just to keep the chill away.

This is how I run my stove too ..for the most part! I was concerned at first . If I woke up I would go downstairs and check it in the middle of the night! I have 3 females in the house also! Wife and 2 daughters, first thing they all do when they come downstairs is stand in front of the stove for 20 mins! :)

This is how I run my stove too ..for the most part! I was concerned at first . If I woke up I would go downstairs and check it in the middle of the night! I have 3 females in the house also! Wife and 2 daughters, first thing they all do when they come downstairs is stand in front of the stove for 20 mins! :)
That's too funny, my wife will do the same thing sometimes, as if she just came in from the frozen tundra.

Auto stat is the way to go. Just clean it, fill it, set it and forget about it, like you would an appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.