Do you think its worth driving 20 mile for wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I was given access to 5 acres of woods its 20 miles away. I went up there twice and got about half a cord of Oak and Walnut.
I was told what ever is dead or down I could take. The wood I'm taking will be for next year. Do you guys think it worth driving
that distance for wood with gas prices so high? I'm still in the greed part of collecting wood and keep telling myself if I don't
take it I may not have enough for next year?

I'd sure go get more. It seems you are getting about 1/4 cord per trip. In my area that is worth about $70. Forty miles round trip maybe $10 - $15 in gas; $20 total with wear and tear. So economically that would work for me.

Get a buddy with a 1 ton and a big trailer, it will be more economical...otherwise up the truck capacity so that you can do a face per load at least.

I think it's a no-brainer, no man...get all you can. Rick

I think it will be more than worth the drive. You may want to think about getting some round-up and "Feeding" a few trees that look like they may be getting ready to go even without your help. Nothing like a steady supply.....
Mike

I've driven 15 miles for pine and thought it was worth it. For Oak I'd drive 30+ if it was free.

As a fellow scrounger I at first was driving that far. Then I became a bit more selective to issues like distance, type of wood, how close I could get my truck, etc. as my stockpiles built up. Also I became a bit more savvy in watching Craigslist, FreeCycle, etc. Now it is getting a bit tighter around here to get free wood so I'd consider that distance. I'd maximize each trip with a trailer though. I wonder what trailer would cost me?

One of my further trips was an awesome wood score once I got there. Well aged hickory. Worth it to go check it out.

I did two such trips in the past month - but I have a trailer that I can get 1/2 to 2/3 a cord in and be within the weight capacity. Both of those trips i loaded her up with a bout a cord - so a bit over weight. I just took it nice and slow. It does make you think though when you start adding up the gas cost these days - then you are piling that on top of your time and everything else. Eventually the cost will approach current cord price - but cord price will go up as the fall approaches for sure...

Yes, go for it! I've driven further. Look for or rent a trailer.

As others have said, it's always nice to have a resource for wood, though you might not always be in need.
Forget all the costs involved, think of the BTUs you'll be getting–and a good workout!

Not very far away at 20 miles. If you live in a city then 1/2 mile is far but in the country 20 miles is nothing to drive. The oak I got this spring was 30 miles one way and a bargan for me since the wood was free. I use a large trailer though so can get almost 2 cords of dry wood per trip. I figure 60 miles and 15mpg equates to 4 gallons or 20 bucks tops. A no brainer for sure.

Oak and walnut AND you don't need to clean up the slash? Just cut and run? It is a good deal for free. I would use the small 15 mile commute as rest between loading and unloading.

I may look into a trailer. I like going there cause I don't feel rushed trying to get as much as I
can before someone else gets it. Last time I was there I found a good opening with alot of wood
but it was tight getting to even with a S-10. Thanks for the input I was having my doubts if it was worth
going up there. You all have changed my mind and I will continue to harvest dead and dieing trees.

PROS:
- Gets more wood
- Uses your truck for "truck stuff"
- Gives you a good reason to run a chainsaw ...maybe even good reason to buy a new chainsaw!
- Better than sitting on the couch, exercise!
- Wood you cut yourself is more satisfying when it burns
- What else have you go to do? (seriously.. you're not busy, you're screwing around on hearth.com)

CONS:
- Gas is expensive (boo-hoo)

... I just did the math.. I've been traveling 24 miles each way for wood this spring in a 1/2 ton and it never even occurred to me that I might be traveling too far. GO FOR IT!

I'd be all over it.

A man/woman gotta do what a man/woman has to do.

What are you moving it with?

Yes, get it. When I go 15 miles +, I try to jigsaw in an errand that area while I'm there. Makes it less costly.

I may go about 30 miles one way for a 1/3 of cord of cherry from a colleague next week . . . although that seems a bit far to me, I did put out the word that I'm always looking for wood. I feel that often I am obligated to go, especially if I hope to get more from them later.

Today I drove 23 miles one way for a 1/4 cord of sugar maple from another colleague. Ran 2 errands while I was in that area too. Little by little I'll get a year ahead.

Currently I'm driving about 29 miles each way for standing dead Oak @ $5 a gallon (Diesel). If you go by $0.50 a mile it's about $30 each trip. I got to cut the trees down, haul them out by hand because I can't get a machine in there, and split all by hand. So far I've gotten 5 truckloads, adds up to about to a little more than 3 cords. So it's $50 a cord +time vs. $225 C/S/D. So far I've saved well over $500. It's a steal when you figure it out as long as you can get enough wood per trip. This weekend I hope to get another 4 truckloads :coolgrin: !

no man said:
I may look into a trailer. I like going there cause I don't feel rushed trying to get as much as I can before someone else gets it. Last time I was there I found a good opening with alot of wood
but it was tight getting to even with a S-10. Thanks for the input I was having my doubts if it was worth
going up there. You all have changed my mind and I will continue to harvest dead and dieing trees.

I just bolded the best reason yet to continue what you are doing. It is awful hard to put a price on that.

It's worth it even with a 1/2 ton pickup. It would help if you know someone with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I just bought a woodstove this year and I'm already kicking myself for purchasing a 1/2 ton pickup last year. Just picked up about 1/2 a cord of free oak from a neighbor last night. Got to love free heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.