Does anyone have a J.A. Roby Ultimate Stove with the VENTULT kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cak446

Apr 12, 2020
Saskatchewan
I'm considering upgrading my wood stove that is in the basement of our farmhouse. The J.A. Roby Ultimate 2015 with the VENTULT, kit has caught my eye.

I like the idea of being able to duct heat into the second story floor with this stove. I just thought that the Canadian regulations doesn't allow for running ducting from the stove to other rooms. Can anyone confirm that the ventult can be used, and still pass code in Canada, specifically in Saskatchewan?

Any other thoughts on this stove or J.A. Roby stoves in general? We are currently using a old cabinet stove from Sears, the same as the stove in this thread. I have no complaints with this stove, and it has no problem heating the whole basement and main floor, no matter how cold it is outside. The only reason I'm considering replacing this stove, is that I just replaced the block chimney with a stainless steel chimney, and this stove will have to go, if I want the setup to be fully up to code.

Carl

That is one massive firebox at 4.7 cu. ft … and 500 lbs worth of stove. Nice!
That is the marketing speak which is the entire firebox volume. It's actually around 3.6 cu ft useable IIRC. @joop has one.
I don't know about the ducting kit. It's an old time remedy, but may not be UL tested or approved.

the heat is forced by the fan through the hump,manifold whatever they call it lol on top of stove.make sure it has the blockoff plate to force the air up into the piping.not hard to make if it doesn't.

one thing to mention fan is thermo disc and very loud.if your handy put adjustable fan control

how well insulated is your house.this beast keeps my house warm 1700's stone house no insulation,leaky windows and doors,so if it can do mine you should be able to sit in your underwear all winter ;lol ;lol

i've had it for let's say ten or eleven year's now haven't even changed a gasket.very well built

VENTULT
how well insulated is your house.this beast keeps my house warm 1700's stone house no insulation,leaky windows and doors,so if it can do mine you should be able to sit in your underwear all winter ;lol ;lol
Thanks for your replies joop! The house is pretty well insulated, I'm actually concerend the stove might be oversized for the house, but drawn to the vent kit to distrubute the heat more evenly throughout the house. How does the stove perform on low heat settings? Can you get long overnight burns, without excessive heat?

in a well insulated house ,it might be a bit much.to get overnight shouldn't be a problem.thing is my house is not normal by any stretch, i can't really tell you how it would work i in a regular house.but it does heat ;lol ;lol wifes new husband in the winter lol