Does anyone have this log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryAnn

Nov 30, 2005
We are buying a gas log splitter at Tractor Supply Co. Its a 27 ton with a Honda engine. It looks like the name (from their site) is Huskee. They have 3 different sizes and this is the middle one.
If anyone has this particular one, could you let me know if you like it? Thanks.

I do not know the price but 27 tons is serious splitting capacity. The Honda engine is the best. I split and process 6+ cords a year my splitter is envioremently friendly electric 16 tons no fumes noise plain gets the job done. Probably cost half of what you are going to spend

I don't have the exact same splitter that you are buying but it sure looks close. I have the 27 ton model from Troy-built bought from Lowes with the same Honda engine. I love the honda engine it is relatively quiet (quiet enought to carry on a conversation while splitting the wood without yelling over the exhaust) It has split everything I have thrown at it including the most knarly knotted elm I could find. Let us know how it goes if you end up purchasing it.

We were even thinking about the 35 ton, with a Briggs and Stratton. But have had good luck with Honda engines on other tools. Splitter will get a lot of use. Nephew has own tree cutting business. He has been just giving wood away in exchange for them cleaning up after cutting or trimming a tree. That way he just goes in and cuts and is done. The people who take the wood then split and sell it. So, this is kind of a business endeavor. We buy log splitter, he supplies the cut trees, and my husband and him will split and sell wood, and have plenty of wood for us. My nephew also heats with wood. By the way, anyone interested in buying a log splitter. Tractor Supply Co has a special only on 4-1 and 4-2, 0 interest, 0 payments for 12 months. Its called Demo Days special. Our Lowes around here don't sell log splitters. Home Depot sells an electric one which couldn't handle what we need it for.

In your case maybe 35 tons is the way to go especially if using a 4 way splitter wedge

Ten years ago i would have agreed that the honda engines were probably the best you could buy. but their quality has slipped considerably in the last few years. I've had nothing but problems with my honda engines on air compressors and generators lately. These days i'd say you are probably fine buying briggs and stratton, they've always been decent, and out of warrenty, they are cheaper to fix/replace. they are generally noisier but they can be easily modified with a larger muffler to quiet them right down.

I've got the 22-ton version; had it for a year now. I don't use it anywhere as much as you would, but it hasn't failed on anything yet - even some good sized oak logs. Split 3 cords last summer no problem. Good price, too.

Ok, now you guys are really confusing me. Honda vs B & S engine? I don't think my opinion on it will count anyways. There seems to be a thing between guys and Honda engines. Since my nephew will be the one mostly using it, he's leaning toward the Honda. The Honda is a 5.5 HP GVC and the B & S is 12 HP. The small log splitter with a B & S is 6.5 HP. I don't get this. Why is the Honda so low in HP, compared to the other ones? I think if it were me I would go with the one that will be easier and less expensive to repair, the B&S, but I'm not paying for it and I don't think I will be using it.

Well, we got the 35 ton. The manager at Tractor Supply talked them out of the 27 ton. He said the Honda engine is a good engine, but not enough HP for the splitter. He said the 22 or the 35 ton were better.

If you 35ton works like mine you'll love it. I've split at least 6 cords with mine with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.