Does anyone know what this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ckc0828

Oct 27, 2020
New Jersey
Does anyone know what this is for? Bought a house and this was inside of my fireplace.

IMG_3568.JPGIMG_3569.JPG

What fireplace is it

That looks elegantly homemade, I assume its some kind of a grate, or perhaps half of an andiron set?

Have you tried using Google Lens? I've used it to identity obscure tools, spare parts etc. If this item is commercially made, and there's a similar image of it anywhere on the internet, Google will probably recognize it.

TE

My guess is an ethanol burner or part of an ethanol burner

Reactions: bholler
Whatever it is, I don't think it's been used for it's intended purpose.

- The legs don't look like they were designed to be legs. They look more like those wall brackets you use to support shelving, but bent at a funny angle

- if it's an ethanol burner, then it's missing some pieces because the ends of the tube are open so any liquid you pour in would run out the ends

- Judging from the smoke stains, looks like someone lit a fire underneath it. Don't know what purpose that would serve, maybe to hang something above the fire??

@gthomas785 Thanks for sharing your comments. This thing was placed inside of the fireplace (instead of a grate) and I couldn't figure out what it is or how it was used. Was tempted to ask the seller but didn't want the trouble of communicating through my agent and her agent. Anyway, I have since bought a grate and will just store this item in the basement and likely never look at it again~

Reactions: gthomas785
Almost looks to me like a chunk of a corner shelving unit. Maybe they chucked it in there to burn wooden shelves out? Definitely doesn't seem to be a part you need or should even have in the fireplace. Is it actually stainless steel? If aluminum, it would melt pretty quick in a 'real' fire.

Reactions: David.Ervin
@Corey you piqued my curiosity, so I snapped a few more photos from different angles. I can see it possibly being part of a shelf unit.

Attachments

• IMG_3577.JPG
    IMG_3577.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3580.JPG
    IMG_3580.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3581.JPG
    IMG_3581.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3582.JPG
    IMG_3582.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: gthomas785
I'm wondering if this is a home made log prop. You could position logs standing up like a teepee. Help to get air under the logs so they burn hotter? As mentioned before, if it's aluminum it will melt. Steel or iron would hold up.