Does my husband have it right - re: installing our wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepinWarm

Oct 16, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
We just purchased a new Vermont Castings Montpelier wood stove to replace our exsisting stove. My husband is the kind of man that likes to do everything himself to save some money, which I am all for, but messing with fire and the chimney makes me nervous. I will say however that he is really handy.

He wants to install it himself and also wants to clean the chimney himself. I want to have a certified sweep come look at the chimney and clean it, but that costs $170 per the quote I got vs. the $30 it will cost my husband to by a brush at home depot. The last time the chimney was cleaned/inspected was 4 years ago - right before we purchased our home. We have used the stove all 3 winters we have lived here.

So my first question is - is this is good idea to let him clean it himself? Or would it be safer to spend the money to have a certified sweep come look at it and clean it.

The second concern I have is that the liner kit for the chimney is $700. We did not buy that yet and my husband thinks it is a waste of money. I don't know a lot about this subject, but I thought the point on the liner was to make it safer from chimney fires and help improve draft quality. Will the liner really make that much of a difference or are we okay with out it? It would be nice to save that money since we already spent so much on the stove, but if we need it then we need it. The previous wood stove had an approx. 4 foot pipe from the back of the stove that went up in to the chimney.

Our chimney is on the outside of the house and we live in a one story home. If I have left out any critical information. let me know. I look forward to getting some advice on the matter so we can move forward with getting the stove installed before it gets cold so we can use it. And so I can stop being a worry wart.

Welcome aboard.
I am only going to comment that he should be more than able to sweep the chimney himself. You might want to get the sweep and and watch him like a hawk and do what he does. I am sure he will even tell you what you need to do as he is probably too busy to come back (my local sweep doesn't want any more business).
The thing that concerns me is that you have been burning for three years and haven't swept it. I hope you have at least looked at it to determine that it doesn't need sweeping. Most will sweep at least once a year or more depending on use. A lot of times people will sweep even if it doesn't really need it .

I will let more intelligent people answer your other questions. I am guessing they will say get the liner.

I have been to six chimney fires (voly ff) and every one was the chimney hadn't been swept in one year plus. Not always the cause but an interesting non-statistical event.

being on the roof is a subjective thing....we all have limits. I do mine its a pc of cake.
but my house is 1 story tall and the roof angle is not bad.
if he is comfortable, confident and knows he can do a good job then he probably can do it.
just make sure your home in case the has issues and winds up hanging off a gutter.

Yes it needs a liner, fully to the top, with a cap.
as you said, safer, more efficeint, and the correct way to install.
you will regret it at some point future if he doesnt.
again, the install is possable on your own... provided you are a 'saftey first' person and comfortable on a roof.

Welcome KW. This feels a bit like the car-talk guys, but my recommendation is to get hubby on board here so that he can ask questions. It's great that he wants to do this himself and it will be a good process, done right. However, having half the knowledge needed can be quite dangerous. Unless he's swept before, I'd recommend he have a pro-sweep do the job and watch him doing it. He will likely learn a thing or two that he can apply in subsequent years of cleaning. Consider the $170 and investment in education. Your husband will find a lot of information here. There are hundreds of posts about installation and several pros that can offer good advice for the unusual problems that one runs into. We are very supportive for folks that want to do this on their own with the caveat that it needs to be done well and safely.

The chimney will require a liner and quite possibly an insulated one. We'll need the chimney flue tile size to determine this. We can help him get the best buy on that, but it needs to be done correctly. Doing so will be safer and will make the stove function much better. The last thing you want is a new stove that belches smoke back at you and becomes a creosote machine. I'd also add a damper block-off plate so that you get the maximum heat out of the stove. There is one last factor and that is the wood to be burned. If it is not seasoned dry, the stove will not put out the desired heat and will need frequent cleanings, including the flue. Modern stoves need dry wood to function correctly. If you do not already have seasoned wood, it can be hard to find at this time of year and is often more costly.

KeepinWarm said:
So my first question is - is this is good idea to let him clean it himself? Or would it be safer to spend the money to have a certified sweep come look at it and clean it.

The question cannot be answered without a lot more info. You say your husband is "handy." Does that also mean skilled, thorough, and informed? I'll add, that just because a chimney sweep is "certified" - it does NOT mean he/she is skilled or competent. That's the old "false authority" syndrome. Some people do great work with no official certification, and some that are certified - are idiots -regardless if doctors, mechanics, lawyers, or chimney sweeps.

KeepinWarm said:
The second concern I have is that the liner kit for the chimney is $700. We did not buy that yet and my husband thinks it is a waste of money.

Liners are usually needed for - at least three reasons. One, the old chimney is just brick or block with no clay-tile liner (or has a damaged liner). Two, the chimney is too large for the stove or furnace being used, and/or three, the chimney does not get hot enough - or stay hot enough - to stay clean.

Since I don't know what you have, it hard to make an intelligent comment. But, I'll make a few anyway.
An unlined chimney can be dangerous unless watched and used very carefully. In the "old days" some chimneys were made of wood and didn't always the cabin down - so it all depends on use.
A lined chimney, e.g. block and clay-tile, may - or may not - have insulation between the tile and block. So, it may tend to be cold chimney. If it's cold, it will soot up fast with low fires and require more frequent cleaning and inspection.

I'll add, even with stainless steel chimneys, some run hotter and stay cleaner than others. Some have 1" to 3" of fireproof fiber insulation, where-as others use air space only.

I think you have to determine if - there is any way your existing chimney can be used safely - period. If there is a way, you then have to ask yourself if you are willing to do what is needed, when it is needed. If not - then perhaps you need a chimney that requires less maintenance.

It does not appear that your husband is doing anything "wrong". That being said, can he properly sweep the chimney...Yes! Can he install the stove in the manor that you explained...yes! Many, many stoves have been, and are currently running the same way as you explain. Is there a better way...Yes! (this is just one dudes opinion, by the way)

I highly suggest a full liner in an outside chimney (the colder the climate, the more important). It facilitates an easier cleaning, and typically a better draft as compared to dumping into a block chimney. Also the SIZE of the block chimney is important. Dumping into an 8 x 8" chimney is much different than dumping into a 12 x 12" chimney. Think volume. Think cooling exhaust (creosote). Remember, you would be going from a 6" pipe (I assume) and dumping that into a much larger area (its called cross sectional area).

Without knowing your complete install (how the stove is set up), free standing or slammed into a fireplace, etc. its hard to comment on further.

Edit: I don't think and type fast enough, it seems that many of my points were hit on in the statements above.

With an outside chimney the smoke will cool off too fast, have poor draft and form lots of creosote. If the stove has a 6" outlet in the back, then you must reline if your chimney flue is larger than 8" round or 7" x 7". Insulated is best for the outside chimney. Definitely use a block off plate, too. If your chimney isn't too large, there is still concern due to the fact that the chimney is exposed to the cold outside, resulting in the poor draft and higher risk of chimney fire. Also smoke getting into the house during operation. It'll mess up your paint.

Dry wood no matter what - <20% moisture!!

Status
Not open for further replies.