Does this help??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbc557ci

Dec 25, 2007
Central NY State
Just a prelude ..... I installed a PE Alderlea T6 last January. This is my 1st wood stove and I'm a newb at heating with wood.

Now, when I was a kid we had a pot belly stove in the kitchen and a fire place in the living room. Stove in the kitchen always seemed to be going during the winter. Every now and then my father would load it up and crank the bajeebers out of it. I remember him commenting to my older brother that he did that to "burn the creasote out of the chimney"..... his words.

So, when I load my T6 and start'r up, I let the stove pipe get up to 600-650 degrees, and let it burn like that for 15-20 minutes, or until the load of wood is REALLY well charred. I must be doing something right because when I had the chimney cleaned about one month ago, the sweep got about 2-3 cups of crap / creostoe out of it. Chimney is about 12 feet of black single wall inside, and about 10 feet of double wall SS above roof level.

Question is... does getting the chimney really hot, litterally burn away accumulated creosote ??

Thanks

Sounds like you're doing it just right. You are preventing a thick creosote accumulation from building up. I try to start off a new fire hot, pretty much like you do, though my temps with softwood are more like 500-600 in the flue. After that I don't worry too much about it.

Burning dry wood is better than worrying about creosote.

My dad did the same thing- almost to the point of an intentional chimney fire. Burn clean and it's not an issue.

Burn dry wood, start it hot to keep stuff from sticking and to establish a draft, and keep it tuned to not give you smoke out the chimney. Sweep anually.

I don't think that you need our adviuce on this- what you are doing is already working!

If every newb came out of the gate with your insight, their learning curve could be severely shortened. Great job.

Backwoods Savage said:
Burning dry wood is better than worrying about creosote.

Sure take the fun and challange out of it kill joy ;)

Thanks for the replies, and the thumbs up on how I've been burning. I have around 126 posts here, and probably 125 of them have been questions (BeGreen and some others may remember my birage of questions from earlier this year :p ). So, if I'm burning the T6 right, allot of that is due to advice I've gotten on this site. Plus, something that was hammered into me during childhood days..... a little common sense goes a long ways ;-)

Thanks again !!

You are doing everything right. I just noticed, and should have known, that some kindling and "small splits" can really move that temp up in a hurry. And I have been burning for more than 30 years, but, this is my first with the new epa insert--and it is amazing how much you learn almost daily by being on this forum. See, I was guilty of lots of kindling,and then large splits, and that is not the right way to do it.

Kindling, and then small splits, then medium, then large. All done of course, with nice and dry wood :)

sonnyinbc said:
You are doing everything right. I just noticed, and should have known, that some kindling and "small splits" can really move that temp up in a hurry. And I have been burning for more than 30 years, but, this is my first with the new epa insert--and it is amazing how much you learn almost daily by being on this forum. See, I was guilty of lots of kindling,and then large splits, and that is not the right way to do it.

Kindling, and then small splits, then medium, then large. All done of course, with nice and dry wood :)

I gererally start out with two medium splits (+,-4 inchers) spannng N/S about 6-8 inches apart. Then put some wrinkled up news paper in between them, and slivers, chips, little what ever's on top of the paper. Then go E/W with a small/medium at the front and back, and fill in those E/W'rs with smalls. Then 2 or 3 medium/large's spanning N/S. That seems to get things going pretty well, and fast. The paper/slivers/chips are gone pretty quickly. When they're gone I open the door and stick a medium/small or 2 in between the two original splits at the bottom. Then let it burn like crazy for a while longer, then shut'r down some. When it's really cold out, I'll add as necessary to get more heat or an overnight burn. Seems to work out pretty well.

No fire started yet tonight. I might try the top/down burn thing .... Hhmmmmm......

Status
Not open for further replies.