Does this look like 8 cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The.Devo

May 26, 2018
MA
I saw a post on marketplace advertising an 8 cord truck for $800. I’m not great at estimating log length, does this look like 8 cords to you? Thanks.
1709813987737.png

The load is probably around 8' wide based upon normal semi width and at least 8' tall. It is at least 20' long. So 8x8x20=1280 cu ft / 128 cu ft per full cord = 10 full cord (but that assumes split and stack density which is probably more than log format). Hard to say exactly how much is there but I think you could confidently say it's at least 8 full cords.

Wish I could get something like that.

Normally out of a truckload like that, I get between 71/2 to 81/2 cord
Amounts do vary depending on how packed the logs are on the truck
but that load looks to be tight most likely 8 for sure. The price is good
that load would cost 1200$ here

Reactions: all night moe
I've done many truck loads like that, about 6-7 full cords all said and done.

for 800 bucks, i'd take that.
what types of wood is all that?

I would guess 6-7 cords too, but whatever it is for the price seems pretty good. Here's a local ad I saw, similar price and quantity.

log.JPG

Around here one of the local tree companies runs an ad in the local classifieds for 7 - 7.5 cords of mixed hardwood logs for $750. The ad also says that if you are willing to take larger diameter stuff over 24" the price is $300.

I prefer the larger logs, because I can get more square splits out of them than out of smaller logs...

Reactions: Solarguy3500
I prefer the larger logs, because I can get more square splits out of them than out of smaller logs...
Agreed. I was close to pulling the trigger on that deal with the larger logs, but then the utility company came through a couple years ago and cut a huge amount of wood along the roads in town for the power lines. I flagged them down and got 2 log truck loads of wood for free so I haven't needed to buy wood yet.

Recently my neighbor gave me a ton of free ash, as I posted about in another thread, so that keeps me going even longer without having to buy any wood.

I would guess 6-7 cords too, but whatever it is for the price seems pretty good. Here's a local ad I saw, similar price and quantity.

View attachment 326103
For $750 how do they make any money? With man hours, equipment, fuel, trucking etc? Or is this leftover scrap from contracted clearing jobs?

Normally it is the tops not suitable for lumber or rejected by the mill.
Otherwise just waste wood

Reactions: bigealta