Doesn't It always Smolder at the end?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoastchimney

Dec 19, 2014
BC
I've heard a lot not to let the fire smolder but isn't the fire always going smolder at the end? At some point do you cut the air supply to kill it faster or just poke any ashes together to burn off better? Thanks.

Once the flames have gone completely out the fire is in the charcoal stage. Charcoal burns quite cleanly compared to fresh wood. You can open up the air a bit at the end of the coaling stage or just let it burn down to ash.

A while before I want to reload, I sometimes pull 'em forward and open the air a bit to help raise stove temp and burn down the coal bed to make more room in the box. But no problem if you just want to let it slowly burn out...

Smolder is when there is wood in the box, little to no flames, and smoke.. late in the burn, you are in the coaling stage, which is a pretty clean burn. I also sometimes rake coals up to the doghouse and open the air to boost temps, and burn down coals if needed.

Reactions: CenterTree
If you are having smoke at the end of your burn cycle you are probably burning wet wood that isn't able to burn down all the way.

Smolder = smoke.

Coaling = just coals.

Smoldering = bad.

Coaling = normal.

Thanks, unfortunately had to buy my wood late in the year so it is a bit wet but burning. The smolder = smoke is good advice though thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.