Dog House Air Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burn time depends on the type of wood and the CF of it loaded into the stove. The light as a feather wood wont last long. And if you have 1 CU ft of wood in a 3CU FT stove you certainly wont get the maximum burn time. Wood heated homes benefit from some built in mass and fairly good insulation so they can soak up the heat when your stove is cruising at 700 and give some back when it falls to 200. Just my 2c for what its worth. ;)

Reactions: Highbeam
been running it once a day, 45(afternoon high) here and windy, super old house, come home from work 3pm most times pretty hot coals from loading it at 730 the night before house stays 60-70deg. 1+ year ash mostly

only saving like 2 or 3 pieces a day over the box wood but the best thing is regulation, same weather it would be 75-80 when I'm trying to sleep, have to let my hard work out the window and it likely be 55 or so in the house next day, no hot coals. and hopefully no cracking

loaded it full last night around 8:30 PM a mix of yellow birch and red maple. woke up this morning around 5:30 AM it was 70F inside, raked the coals around and gave it a small load, 3 splits, set the AAS and went to make coffee. 30 minutes later it's dialed back with nice rolling secondaries.

learned a couple things with it the last few days, some first hand others from you guys, the AAS system does work, when it gets up to temp (~550 on my magnetic) it closes it to the low setting i have it at, which is a hair from fully closed. it does not close it gradually as it heats up it goes from full open to where you have it set, so this is nice that i can load it and walk away and not have to worry if i get sidetracked. also as a few of you have mentioned in this thread before i reload i'll push a small "channel" in front of the doghouse to the back of the stove this gets things going nicely. I'm also going to suspect that if / when coals start to build up pilling them in front of the doghouse and opening the air up is going to help burn them down nicely.