Dog in the wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
IMG_1298.JPG He's been interested in some critter in the wood for 30 minutes now. Wanted to take him for a walk but I think he's liking this.

Hope it's not a skunk! My dog went after something under the camper last week, and while I only caught a glimpse of movement I was afraid it could be a skunk, so I pulled him away. We watched quietly for about a minute, and sure enough, a skunk came scampering out and then proceeded to disappear under one of my wood racks. Glad he didn't get sprayed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you say that, he took a direct hit to face by a skunk last week. He still smells!

I have a family of rabbits living under one of my wood stacks that keep driving my two labs crazy. they have been trying all summer to get ahold of one no luck yet though.

My wood piles are always covered in lizards and skinks.

My farm cats love the woodpiles they are all you can eat buffets. Except my big Tom got into it with a skunk and stinks. Heck the other day one of the other cats caught a cotton tail and brought it up to the house to show me.

we had some kittens randomly show up in our wood pile for a few days. Not sure what happened to them, but i'm guessing with the 2 dogs they didn't stay around very long.

Intense look on the dogs' face too, lol.

Our shephoundlabweiler likes to obsess over the chipmunks who
have a condo setup in the wall of wood. (see avatar) They easily
dart back and forth thru gaps which drives the dog batty who has to
run all the way around the end of the wall. Kinda entertaining.

Intense look on the dogs' face too, lol.

Our shephoundlabweiler likes to obsess over the chipmunks who
have a condo setup in the wall of wood. (see avatar) They easily
dart back and forth thru gaps which drives the dog batty who has to
run all the way around the end of the wall. Kinda entertaining.

Our dog (profile pic) goes crazy for squirrels. It's the highest form of sport he knows. Just say "squirrely" and his eyes get big and attentive, his nose expands and his neck muscles tighten as he scans the scene looking for the intruder. He can't catch them but that doesn't stop him from giving it his most lickety-split attempt. Two weeks ago he tore the ACL in his rear leg while accelerating after a squirrel. The "knee" joint had nothing there. When he weighted it the joint would just come apart so he was walking on three legs. Couldn't jump in the car and would do face plants climbing stairs. This was very embarrassing for him. Vet said it would never heal.

Took him to the animal doc this week for a metal plate to hold his knee together. Hoping for a full recovery as he's only 11 1/2 yo and think he has a number of good years left.

View attachment 199115 He's been interested in some critter in the wood for 30 minutes now. Wanted to take him for a walk but I think he's liking this.
They do love their prey time. Mine are the same here, great exercise and keeps them outta our way.

Squirrel was involved the one time my dog jumped out of the window of the car. Sure hope your dog mobility can get better. Sounds like a great dog!

If those were my piles it would be a skunk. My dumb dog gets sprayed about once every month or so. I love him, but he sure doesn't learn. We've learned to keep him in the house for an hour or so around dusk since that is when the skunks seem most active.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck