Dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amace

Oct 23, 2019
Pa
I recently purchased a summer heat 2400, it burns great but the problem is it burns to great. It doesn't really over fire but I can fill the firebox and normally only get about a 4 hour burn. I did the dollar bill test this morning and I was able to pull it out in 3 different locations. I am assuming that this is one of my problems if not the problem. I have never had to deal wit the this before so what do I need to now? Do I need to get a bigger gasket for around the door? Thanks for the help.

Did the bill just fall right through or did it have some resistance?

Did the bill just fall right through or did it have some resistance?
I could easily pull it out. I started a fire and you can clearly see the flames

Attachments

• 15750361774031373348928026574218.jpg
    15750361774031373348928026574218.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 238
That should not be happening. I’m surprised that stove is not over firing. Id contact the stove company to get some guidance. I wonder if the stove face and/or door cane to you warped.

Last edited:
That should not be happening. I’m surprised that stove is not over firing. Id contact the stove company to get some guidance. I wonder if the stove face and/or door cane to you warped.
It will burn hot but I have been home the whole time and have been able to keep it some what under control. It likes to get into that 500-550 and just stay that which isn't over fire but it will eat the wood fast. I keep the fan on and have another fan I blow on it when the temps get up.

Also I have read where people will replace the gasket with something thicker but I can't seem to find the thread

I doubt the stove has a design flaw that requires the end user to install a thicker gasket. You need to determine the root cause of the problem.

Put a straight edge on the door and stove face to check for warping. If you find those one of those surfaces is warped, you have a structural issue.

Check the door latch and confirm the door is being drawn in correctly. The gap between the door edge and stove face should be constant (parallel) along the perimeter. If not, can the latch be adjusted?

If these things check out, I would replace the gasket with an OEM or equivalent part.

Good tips Mech e. If the dollar bill pulls out with little or no resistance then the gasket is not sealing in that area. One thing you could try is pinching the gasket to plump it up in the center to see if that helps. Also, place a straightedge on the door. That model has had issues with warped doors.

Here are two pictures of the top of the door. I can take more but will have to wait until the box cools

Attachments

• 20191129_111014.jpg
    20191129_111014.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 292
  • 20191129_111005.jpg
    20191129_111005.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 284
Take a few with the level against the stove, there was a member here that returned (2) of these stoves due to warped fronts, there was an issue with the summers heat line, but it did not effect the Englander NC30 line, if the stove body is warped I'd return the stove on warrantee, either get the like of like stove but measure it at the stove store or get a full cash refund and order a Englander nc30.

A little hard to tell, but that top picture certainly appears to show a bow in the door. When you did your dollar bill test, did the bill slide easily in the center of that top edge?

I bought a 13 nc by englander this year. Just checked it out, it has the famous 1/8in. inward bow
at the top and bottom center of door opening on stove body. It seems to be a problem on a lot
of their stuff. They must punch these holes instead of cutting them. Just a thought, I don't
know what I'm going to do. I don't like this stove. No matter what I do smoke rollout is a
real problem. The EPA wants the smoke inside your house not on the outside.

I bought a 13 nc by englander this year. Just checked it out, it has the famous 1/8in. inward bow
at the top and bottom center of door opening on stove body. It seems to be a problem on a lot
of their stuff. They must punch these holes instead of cutting them. Just a thought, I don't
know what I'm going to do. I don't like this stove. No matter what I do smoke rollout is a
real problem. The EPA wants the smoke inside your house not on the outside.
That's not typical. The problem may be weak draft? Can you describe the entire flue system from stove to chimney cap? Is it 6" r all the way? Any elbows? How tall?

Take a few with the level against the stove, there was a member here that returned (2) of these stoves due to warped fronts, there was an issue with the summers heat line, but it did not effect the Englander NC30 line, if the stove body is warped I'd return the stove on warrantee, either get the like of like stove but measure it at the stove store or get a full cash refund and order a Englander nc30.
The 30NC is a proven workhorse, but be sure the hearth meets spec if switching.

That's not typical. The problem may be weak draft? Can you describe the entire flue system from stove to chimney cap? Is it 6" r all the way? Any elbows? How tall?
begreen
I have 27in. straight up off the stove. I made a long radius el out of 2-45s this goes into 12in pipe 1/4 in.
rise per foot into a 10in. snout . This goes to a tee hooked to 19ft. of 6in. insulated flex. The flex and tee is in a interior
brick chimney the clay tile has been removed from.
Thanks

I went ahead and bought 1" gasket for maybe a bandaid fix until I here something from them. This is my main source of heat and I want to use as little as oil as possible. I will take some more pictures with the level while I have the door off and post them later.

I went ahead and bought 1" gasket for maybe a bandaid fix until I here something from them. This is my main source of heat and I want to use as little as oil as possible. I will take some more pictures with the level while I have the door off and post them later.
I just ordered a new gasket from england works.
Where the gaps are , every time I open the door I pinch the gasket. I just hope my door doesn't
warp too.

I have the same stove. It seems that a lot of people have had issues with the door and frame being warped. I've lucked out, but I do check it every time the stove cools down.

I burn hot in it and everything has stayed tight so far with a few cords burnt.

I'd be interested to hear what England stove works had to say.

This pic is taken from the hinge side, correct? What does the level show there, when you get a chance?
1575100812782.png

I did the Dollar Bill test......burned half the Bill:)

Just so happens that a friend of mine called me up to see if I could help him pick up a new stove (nc13) and install it (he's got an old smoke dragon and just wants something for ambiance and emergencies) we will be uncrating the stove at the store and checking the door / stove body for trueness.

Well I put the 1" gasket in, the seal is a little better but I can still pull the dollar out but with some resistance in a few areas, going to let it dry and then fire it tonight and see what I find. Still waiting to hear back from them, I'm assuming it won't be until next week. I bought it in the 9th at Lowe's so I'm sure I can still take it back.

Just so happens that a friend of mine called me up to see if I could help him pick up a new stove (nc13) and install it (he's got an old smoke dragon and just wants something for ambiance and emergencies) we will be uncrating the stove at the store and checking the door / stove body for trueness.
When you check out the stove , if there is a lot of excess RTV around and on
the door gasket remove it before your first burn.That will help some on the
smoke and smell.

Well I put the 1" gasket in, the seal is a little better but I can still pull the dollar out but with some resistance in a few areas, going to let it dry and then fire it tonight and see what I find. Still waiting to hear back from them, I'm assuming it won't be until next week. I bought it in the 9th at Lowe's so I'm sure I can still take it back.
Let us know if that gasket works out. I may need to do the same thing to my NC 13.
Good luck

If that door (and perhaps the stove face) is warped, I would definitely return it. It is going to be a constant battle keeping it functioning correctly.