Dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The fact that the replacement stove i recieved had the EXACT same problem tells me this defect is widespread among the model. I did examine a floor model at lowes about yr ago that looked fine. I didnt use a straight edge on it but visually the door and stove body looked fine. (if only englander woul dhave sent me that one) . So, yes not every stove of this model is defective. But 7 bad out of 20 reviews on the Lowes website is not a good Avg. I left both a good(when i forst got the stove) and bad(after a few months) review there on Lowes website.

Last edited:
So far it has only been with the larger 50 SSW02 models. IIRC, it showed up pretty early in production, but remember, for the most part, we only hear about the problems. Folks that are happy with their stoves usually don't come online to talk about them.
I understand what you are saying. Kennyp looked at a new 13NC at Home Depot yesterday
and it had the same problem. Maybe we are just a unlucky bunch?

The fact that the replacement stove i recieved had the EXACT same problem tells me this defect is widespread among the model. I did examine a floor model at lowes about yr ago that looked fine. I didnt use a straight edge on it but visually the door and stove body looked fine. (if only englander woul dhave sent me that one) . So, yes not every stove of this model is defective. But 7 bad out of 20 reviews on the Lowes website is not a good Avg. I left both a good(when i forst got the stove) and bad(after a few months) review there.
Straight edges are cheap easy to use ( no moving parts ) They will last a long time even under hard use.
Maby Englander ought to invest in one or two.

I burnt the stove yesterday with the new gasket and the temps were good and it didnt eat the wood like it did before. I'm pretty sure im still going to take this stove back to lowe's. Just dont know what i will get to replace it.

I burnt the stove yesterday with the new gasket and the temps were good and it didnt eat the wood like it did before. I'm pretty sure im still going to take this stove back to lowe's. Just dont know what i will get to replace it.
Take a look at the Englander 30-NC and the big Drolets (HT-3000, Austral II)

Take a look at the Englander 30-NC and the big Drolets (HT-3000, Austral II)
I looked at a Drolet before i got the englander but the price difference made me to with that, plus there are no Drolet dealers around me. I am still thinking about maybeing going that route.

I ordered my Drolet online and it arrived at my home just fine. Shipping was free and you may not have to pay sales tax.

I ordered my Drolet online and it arrived at my home just fine. Shipping was free and you may not have to pay sales tax.
Where did you get it? I found it at l&m fleet for around 1300 shipped

Dumb question but let's say I take it back and Lowe's has a stove there that isn't warp, does that mean it will be fine or can there be a possibility of it warping

It's possible that the stove body on some of them is bent at the door opening and not actually warped. If the stove front is flat and the door is true it may be ok and stay that way, but we have no way of being sure.

This was for the 2000 I think the 3000 will be to big
I just saw the HT3000 is on sale at myfireplaceproducts for $1299 shipped and probably no sales tax. It actually has a slightly smaller fire box than the HT2000 and meets the 2020 standards. I think a few people on the forum have purchased it.

I just saw the HT3000 is on sale at myfireplaceproducts for $1299 shipped and probably no sales tax. It actually has a slightly smaller fire box than the HT2000 and meets the 2020 standards. I think a few people on the forum have purchased it.

Reactions: Mech e
I looked at a Drolet before i got the englander but the price difference made me to with that, plus there are no Drolet dealers around me. I am still thinking about maybeing going that route.
I think englander should charge a couple hundred more for the 2400 but fix all the defects first. Id gladly pay more for one without all the problems.

Reactions: Louis
Dumb question but let's say I take it back and Lowe's has a stove there that isn't warp, does that mean it will be fine or can there be a possibility of it warping
My both stoves got slowly worse with use. I suspect its more the gasket flattens out after awhile and is less able to compensate for the warped door and stove body and the air gaps get wider as a result.

The guy I talked to is new I think, he use to be a fire fighter and I told him about it and he was truly upset and worry about co2 leaking into the house. He could be blowing smoke up my butt but he seems truly concerned and wanted all the info I could get him for everything.

Last i talked to ESW they just kept asking for more pictures,and specifically for a picture showing that you can see the fire burning with the door closed and latched,but i tried to explain you cant see in from the bottom as there is the steel plate welded to the stove just below the door that prevents you from seeing in or taking a picture. and the top plate on the stove also prevent you from seeing in or taking a picture of the top gap. Mine leaks air from the top and bottom of the door and you cant see in from either of those sides. The left(hinge) side dont leak and the right isnt standing out enough to see in. I did send them pics of the bowed door against a straight edge and the bowed stove body against a straight edge and also with the fire burning where you can see it sucking air in the bottom ,must of sent 10 or 12 pics altogether. I just gave up after awhile. Which i think was the their intent. Dollar bill test