Domestic Hot Water from a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlD

Jan 26, 2010
New Brunswick
Hi. I have just had a new Pacific Energy Super 27 wood stove installed. It has a water coil - not a water jacket, as I'd understood when I decided to order it - for heating domestic hot water. I have a local installer looking into designing a system to preheat water going into my electric hot water heater, but I'd be interested in hearing advice and the experience of others with a similar stove. (IE how much hot water can be produced; what is the impact on emissions and creosote; what kind of power failure backup system used (the tank will be downstairs, below the stove), etc.) I called Pacific Energy but they were decidedly distant when it came to answering any of those questions.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone can offer. (I'm in New Brunswick, Canada - a very efficient home but a pretty cold climate.)

Is this the type that a tube with water is coiled around the flue? If so they are known for cooling flue temps to the point that creosote build up becomes an issue(I.E. magic heat)
Joe

If the coil is inside the firebox I think the additional creosote build up might not be an issue. My question would be how would you limit the temp in the water heater if it was a continuous loop.
Joe

You need to go onto the Leyman's site and order the information phamphlet called,"Hot water from your wood stove". Noone explains it better and simpler than Leyman's. Its a short and simple read with several different plans with detailed sketches. The amish at Leymens have been doing this for years and their experience is second to none. My system, a thermasiphon, uses no power, makes no noise, and utilizes an old hot water tank, its really remarkable. Where other manuals fail, Leyman's actually goes into the rise/run of the lines going to the tank...this is the biggest mistake made with pumpless thermasiphon systems, one I made on my first tank. And follow the guidelines for pressure release valve placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.