mass_burner Posted By mass_burner, Feb 13, 2016 at 9:37 AM

1. mass_burner

mass_burner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2013
    Loc:
    SE Mass
    It's been building for awhile, but I'm officially done with stuff. If I don't use it regularly, its got to go! Who's with me!

Unfortunately, I only have real power in the basement, but that will have to do. No more saving stuff for future projects, no more spare parts, that never get used. Selling it all off. No exceptions. From now on, only JIT, immediate use, nothing unnecessary comes in.

Going lean and mean.Thoughts?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ED 3000, Seasoned Oak and SlyFerret like this.
  2. woodgeek

woodgeek
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2008
    Loc:
    SE PA
    Do it!

One thing I love about my local hardware store 5mins away is a liberal return policy. Anything I have left over after a project I just take back. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bobbin

Bobbin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2008
    Loc:
    So. Me.
    Sigh... perhaps one day I'll be able to do that, too. And you know that as soon as you do it you'll actually need one of the spare parts you purged. ;)

rowerwet and vinny11950 like this.
  4. DougA

DougA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 13, 2012
    Loc:
    S. ON
    I don't consider anything 'non useful' until it is covered in rust with a thick layer of dust and moss growing on it. Even then, if I throw it out, I will regret it a week later when I find that it would have been exactly what I needed.
    The beauty of that policy is that 30 years later, the 'stuff' is now considered as either retro and the millenniums want it or it's an antique and valuable. You just need to hang in there another decade.

In the last few weeks, I've put ads up for a lot of my stuff and I'm getting way more than it's worth.

Knots likes this.
  5. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    I've found the day its gone is the day I will need it ==c
    Last fall started to catalogue GM auto parts from late 60 and 70
    That I have stored over the years who new there was such a market
    for new old stock !!

6. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    My problem is leftover lumber. Like 7' 2x4s, can't return them. Large but not full, sheets of plywood and sheetrock.

Bobbin likes this.
  7. DougA

DougA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 13, 2012
    Loc:
    S. ON
    Time to build another wood shed.;lol

8. Bobbin

Bobbin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2008
    Loc:
    So. Me.
    Highbeam, you made me lol. It's all too familiar. I am notorious for holding onto 1/2 yd. pcs. of fabric (much of which was expensive and its return rejected by customers), but practically? how many toss pillows does the world really need? I routinely cull the herd and place it kerbside on a sunny weekend... it's gone in a couple of hours. Passin' on the joy and wonder of fabric!

9. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Reminds me of George Carlin on "stuff".

10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I love it up here in Maine . . . as Bobbin' said . . . place something halfway decent along the road/street with a "Free" sign and even when you live on a rarely driven road like I do, 9 times out of 10 it will be gone in a day. Got rid of an older, functioning dishwasher (and they even took the cardboard "Free" sign as well).

Swedishchef and Bobbin like this.
  11. Bobbin

Bobbin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2008
    Loc:
    So. Me.
    George Carlin... a national treasure. No wonder the helpmeet and I have no problem laughing all measure of inappropriate material!

12. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2012
    Loc:
    se mass
    the sounds like an episode from "American Pickers". How many times do you hear a seller say," found it free on the side of the road"

Swedishchef likes this.
  13. Knots

Knots
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 13, 2013
    Loc:
    Alfred, Maine
    It's a fine line between saving stuff that you'll never use and running so lean that you always have to go to the store 5 times during every project.

Ever try to help your buddy fix something and you need a washer to complete the job and he doesn't even have any on hand?

14. mass_burner

mass_burner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2013
    Loc:
    SE Mass
    I had 2 wood carts, getting rid of one and consolidating onto the other. Will deal with that smaller cart later

15. mass_burner

mass_burner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2013
    Loc:
    SE Mass
    I have a '69 Buick that I drive, I have one large bin of spare parts, buying no more until I need them.

Knots likes this.
  16. mass_burner

mass_burner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2013
    Loc:
    SE Mass
    True, but inherent, i hope, in my premise is space. I have several bins with nails, screws, washers etc separated. Also, use is the driving factor.

17. DougA

DougA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 13, 2012
    Loc:
    S. ON
    I just sold the scaffolding I bought a year ago to install the new stove pipe and stone wall on my 16' ceiling. Paid $240 on sale but the new cost has gone to over $500. not on sale. Sold for $340.
    Cost of stuff from China is going through the roof with the sinking Cdn dollar. I'm happy to get a few months use then sell it for a profit of a hundred. :):)

Doug MacIVER likes this.
  18. Buzz Saw

Buzz Saw
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 18, 2014
    Loc:
    Attica, Ohio
    I don't purge, just organize better. I am blessed with many out building to store "junk " till it's time to you it.

19. Knots

Knots
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 13, 2013
    Loc:
    Alfred, Maine
    Post it up! Here's one of the reasons I have parts on hand:
    DSC02379.JPG

semipro likes this.
  20. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I did that for a little while. Now the pellet boiler and its six tons of pellets have made a dent in my effort.

21. mass_burner

mass_burner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2013
    Loc:
    SE Mass
    But those are useful.

22. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Well, with oil locally at 1.79.... :)

23. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    And pellets going up in price....

24. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Well, if it wouldn't be a pellet boiler, it'd be a wood boiler, and instead of the pellets in the basement, I'd have a stack of wood, oh, and a thousand gallon tank!

25. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I try to stay as minimal as possible. But my "stuff" is pretty organized. Akro bins are your friend.

I can't seem to every throw out any bolts, nuts or screws. I even have a hard time doing it at work.