Don't mind me, just trying to keep track of my stacks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Every year I have a hard time remembering what I harvested when, and what I burned. So I'm going to start posting pics here so that I can find them easily next year. Purely for my own benefit...

IMG_20211127_171013~2.jpg

IMG_20211127_170953~2.jpg

I have a double pile about 100' long. I take off one and add new wood on the other end. Im in the restarting phase now, so it'a two piles.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
When I stack them, I am sure I will remember when I stacked it but inevitably forget. One of these days I am going to put a sign on the pile with a date on it.

I use a sharpie and write it on the end of a split. Inevitably it fades, so I have to touch it up every so often. Seems effective and easy

Reactions: bigealta
I bought a pack of aluminum ID tags off Amazon. They are cheap and effective. No fade.

I like the OP's idea.
When you CSS you think you'll remember all your wood, but inevitably color of wood and memory fade, especially with piece meal scrounges and partial wood removal from a stack.
I've been using an industrial lumber crayon to mark wood rack noting the source of wood (street/ location) and when (month/ year) when CSS.

For my stacks I use either a Sharpie or paint pen and mark the date I stacked the wood on a cedar shingle and leave it on the pile in the end so I can see the month and date when it was stacked.

For my woodshed I use a Sharpie and mark the ends of the wood in several areas with the year it was loaded into the woodshed. As another poster said, I occasionally need to touch up the marked ends after a couple of years. The only other drawback to this low-tech method is enduring the laughter of friends who think I am sorting my wood like someone might sort through a vintage wine.

Already lost track of things 😁
Done with the oak 19-20. This pic is from june 2022. The oak on the right was s/s soon after. The brick (oak 20-21) is now completely full. I don't know with what/when 🤦‍♂️ I filled it.
Plan to use the ash next, which *should* maybe last the rest of the year. Otherwise oak to the left is on deck. IMG_20220421_140028 (1) (1).jpg

Those aluminum tags look nice. problem is first I would forget to tag the stack and by the time I remembered I would have forgotten when I split or which wood it was. Then if I did remember I probably couldn't remember where I put that package of tags.

• Haha
Reactions: TomMcDonald
Ok, back checking the stacks on the other house. The pine I got last spring I think. Split in the fall. Older oak separated from the pine with a rope. Still have old ash that should go soon.
IMG_20230319_123251 (1).jpg

I’m writing in thick red sharpie the date on a split at each end of the stack.

Back for more. Got about 2 cords from My new connection. I'm full to the gills now. Went through maybe ⅔ cord this winter. Also filled the rack at the river. Unfortunately, I only have 1 ⅓ cord for next year. 25-26 might need to use 2 year old wood.

The top of the enclosed rack I filled with chunks. Will help fill the stove, curious to see how quickly they dry.
IMG_20240319_143914 (1).jpgIMG_20240319_143901 (1).jpgIMG_20240319_143848 (1).jpgIMG_20240318_164859 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I keep a little diagram in pencil of my stacks on a piece of paper. When I move it into the garage for the next winters burning, I erase the stack. Now where did that piece of paper go...?

I made a spreadsheet. 3 bays with 5 stacks each, 6 ft wide, 7 ft tall (yep). Easy administration in a spreadsheet.

Reactions: NickW
I'm a big fat sharpe guy, like others. simple and easy.

Reactions: Wildflush
Just got a cord last week to fill my empty stacks. Semi seasoned. Seller was generous. Back to 4 cords in rotation. Still using sharpie as to when It was stacked. I always get my cords in March or 1st week of April. Has 3 summers to dry.

I use an excel spreadsheet to make a drawing of my various wood stacks with year it was CSS and also the species found in each stack

Reactions: stoveliker
Man you guys are detailed with spreadsheets and types of wood. My theory is everything in the stack is dry in 3 year rotation.

Reactions: Slimdusty