Don't panic: Popular pellets plentiful in Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there will be a big surplus come Sept. or Oct....so many people have already got their pellets ...and many in Maine haven't got their stove...so regionally there will be an excess in my book...I am taking delivery of 2 tons to start...wait on the rest...

Regards
Ossy

(Pellets in Bangor area.)

Having contacts within Dysart's...

Dysart's has no pellet stock anymore. When Athens delivers a load, Dysart's delivers them. That's why Dysart's has stopped taking pellet orders. They do not want to make promises they cannot deliver on (right Harman?). The plant in Athens is accumulating pellets, but not because they are hoping or more money later. Their bagging line cannot keep up with their production line. They had just hired a local company I am involved with to bag 120 tons of pellets. There was some slack time, so the work was done, but now the company is busy, so they aren't doing anymore.

There isn't a real shortage, but the pace of purchase is exceeding the pace of manufacture. Since everybody is buying their winters worth and more early, supply is tight.

My fear is that panicking pellet buyers who are willing to pay $350/ton will train the manufacturers and dealers to set a new price point. If you are willing to pay through the nose, they will let you.

My fear is that panicking pellet buyers who are willing to pay $350/ton will train the manufacturers and dealers to set a new price point. If you are willing to pay through the nose, they will let you.

I agree. However, people still look at it being cheaper then oil not realizing they are still being hosed.

sinnian said:

I agree. However, people still look at it being cheaper then oil not realizing they are still being hosed.

We are our own worst enemy allowing the media to drive people into panic.

My 2 cents. I ordered 3 tons of Pellets from Spring Brook Fuel in Waterville two weeks ago ($235/ton). I just got a call yesterday that they can be picked up. These are from the Athens mill so they must be doing an OK job keeping up with demand -- or Spring Brook has done a good job getting first in line.

I put a deposit on a stove late last month and started looking around the Brunswick-Auburn area for pellets. I've called some local stores and have hit the big boxes. The only place I found any was in Sabattus, but they wanted $300/ton (which sorta hurts as a buddy picked up 5 tons at Sam's Club in early July for $225/ton). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the run on pellets will end, but I'm still waiting. And as I wait for pellets to become available locally, I've been checking pelletsales.com and their price has gone up from $297/ton to almost $305.

So, just let me know when its time to panic....

Never a good time to panic. Walmart in Newington NH has several tons of pennington for 250 a ton (4.99 per bag).
Ace Hardware Kittery has many tons for 299.

Seems like there are just enough out there to keep people from buying at insane Craig's List reseller prices.
Then there are actually even a few deals out there from time to time.....
http://maine.craigslist.org/for/817394046.html

I called Corinth this past week.
They are adding a 3rd shift and seemed confident
that they would be filling orders after they finished their shutdown

We have an order in for 5 tons from them.

Also, Les Otten is planning to build Silos in the Bethel area for pellets.
This is to go with his pellet boiler venture.
Waiting for FAA approval. (Near the airport)
I heard that they will be available to the general public for purchase. (Bulk)

I guess my next project will be a 2 ton storage bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.