Don't with Somersets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rcook430

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2015
Ashland Ky
I will admit I am somewhat of a pellet snob. 2 years ago I got a ton of Somersets and they were amazing. Light color, good heat and wake up the next morning and little ash on the burn pot of my p43. Last year a little worse with more ash. This year I bought a ton and a half and the ash is everywhere. Thick heavy ash. Burn pot is loaded I. The morning and now the entire stove is coated with a heavy thick insulating coat of ash after about 4 bags. I'm done with them and will suffer through these until I can find something else. Hopefully I can get the Country Boy White Lightnings that have been good in the past.

I’ve seen hundreds of stoves burn them over the course of several years. Seems like the main inconsistency comes from how the middle man is storing them. Even the best pellet will burn dirty if it draws moisture. Also keep in mind that a clean flu and exhaust blower will go a long way towards a clean burn.