Donuts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ispinwool

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2010
Butler County, Pa.
For y'all's enjoyment...
IMG_20221026_133946400.jpg

My enjoyment would even be larger if I could send you my address for a shipment ;);lol🍩😋

My enjoyment would even be larger if I could send you my address for a shipment ;);lol🍩😋
LOL...you'd have to wrestle my (now grown) kids for them! ;) ;) ;)

uhoh. I withdraw my candidacy to consume some.

:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: ispinwool
We had a deep fryer when I was growing up. Those homemade donuts were the best I have ever eaten.

We had a deep fryer when I was growing up. Those homemade donuts were the best I have ever eaten.
When we would trick or treat as a kid we would cross over a short distance between this house and a empty field to the MAIN ROAD (queue scary music), walk along there up on the hill a bit 3 house up there was an old lady with what looked like a ton of family members helping her make donuts. All sorts of donuts. They had no way to take them home, so you literally had to eat one there and one for the road. Then of course, reach into your bag of treats and hopefully find a little hug or something to wash it down.

I remember my one neighbor gave out really really nice apples. Some kids smashed them on their driveway.

We will be trying these this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!
....ok...you've had enough time to taste-test 😄 ;) ....how'd they turn out?

• Haha
Reactions: RomanW
....ok...you've had enough time to taste-test 😄 ;) ....how'd they turn out?
OH ha! Sorry, they were good! We didnt realize what we were getting into until we started out. These are no rise/no yeast donuts - and they remind me of a certain donut my local shop had. We had a bit of an oil taste that kinda left us saying well, it would have been alot easier to just go to the store lol. I think I need a better thermometer or probably we need to fry fewer at a time because I think that really drops the oil temp and that allows for oil to absorb too easily.

I have two donuts shops within 30 mins of me, one is only 5 mins away. They cant produce a creme puff like donut very well so that may be our next attempt once I find a better butter creme icing recipe that I would like inside a donut. The one we use right now isnt as 'puffy' as I would like, and is for cakes mostly so. That will be our next adventure.

Thanks for posting this, we have it saved in our archives now. :)

Not quite the same but my Irish grandfather would buy plain donuts from a local bakery then split, butter and fry them for us kids, if you don’t have time to make them try that.

• Love
Not quite the same but my Irish grandfather would buy plain donuts from a local bakery then split, butter and fry them for us kids, if you don’t have time to make them try that.
That sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen! By plain, I'm assuming like cake donuts?

i can feel my arteries plugging up all ready.

OH ha! Sorry, they were good! We didnt realize what we were getting into until we started out. These are no rise/no yeast donuts - and they remind me of a certain donut my local shop had. We had a bit of an oil taste that kinda left us saying well, it would have been alot easier to just go to the store lol. I think I need a better thermometer or probably we need to fry fewer at a time because I think that really drops the oil temp and that allows for oil to absorb too easily.

I have two donuts shops within 30 mins of me, one is only 5 mins away. They cant produce a creme puff like donut very well so that may be our next attempt once I find a better butter creme icing recipe that I would like inside a donut. The one we use right now isnt as 'puffy' as I would like, and is for cakes mostly so. That will be our next adventure.

hmmm....yeah....I do seem to remember my mom having to wait for the temp to raise again between batches.
Forgot about that. They are a very plain donut. I think the allure of them was simply how infrequently
she made them. LOL!

Reactions: RomanW
Come New Year's Eve mom had a tradition of making German doughnuts called Berliner pfannkuchen. It was her mom's (Oma's) recipe. It was regular sweetened yeast dough dipped in granulated sugar when done, but it tasted great coming out hot from deep fry.
We'd lightly roll yeast dough and allow it to rise, add dollops of red current, or red raspberry jelly onto dough at regular intervals and then we'd fold dough back over itself. We'd take a simple drinking glass to cut out folded over dough with jelly in middle, let it rise and then drop in fat (lard ?) after we had checked oil temp with end of wooden utensil handle (wood produces fine bubbles when hot enough).
Some fond Christmas/ New Years memories with friends and family.

Come New Year's Eve mom had a tradition of making German doughnuts called Berliner pfannkuchen. It was her mom's (Oma's) recipe. It was regular sweetened yeast dough dipped in granulated sugar when done, but it tasted great coming out hot from deep fry.
We'd lightly roll yeast dough and allow it to rise, add dollops of red current, or red raspberry jelly onto dough at regular intervals and then we'd fold dough back over itself. We'd take a simple drinking glass to cut out folded over dough with jelly in middle, let it rise and then drop in fat (lard ?) after we had checked oil temp with end of wooden utensil handle (wood produces fine bubbles when hot enough).
Some fond Christmas/ New Years memories with friends and family.
That sounds lovely!...and yummy!!
**scurries off to find Berliner pfannkuchen recipes! :)

Try a dash of nutmeg in the dough. Yes hotter oil too for better flavor

When I was 13, I whipped up a batch of homemade donut batter, very similar to this recipe, filled a medium pot with crisco, put it on high on the electric stove, and went into another room. I hadn't realized that crisco would reach flame point pretty quickly. By the time I went back into the kitchen, there was a large grease fire, and one of the kitchen cabinets above the range was on fire.

Still being 13, I knew I couldn't let the house burn down, but didn't know water wasn't the thing to use to put out a grease fire. So, I grabbed a large pot, took it to the sink, filled it with water, and dumped all the water on the flaming grease. Amazingly, the fire was immediately snuffed out. I don't know how, because it really should have just spread the flaming grease everywhere, including on me.

My older sister and her friend had run screaming from the house, and a neighbor called the fire department.

When the fire dept arrived, the fire was long out, but thick black smoke remained in the house, hanging below the ceiling, so they got out some huge fire dept fans and blew the place out. About when they were finished, Dad got home from leaving work early. I think he was probably just relieved that no one was injured, and his house was still standing. All damages to house were cosmetic.

Three things never happened again. First, I didn't get to stay home alone for the rest of the summer, had to go to work with Dad everyday. I've never left hot grease unattended on the stove again, and I've never tried to make homemade donuts again.