door gasket need replace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MrCool1

Oct 6, 2021
OR
I thought I saw kind of a reference to this a couple days ago, but cannot find it now.
most of my wood burning has been very old stoves - looking back, in very unsafe old stoves.
after being in this forum reading all the info - I am very glad I "just" had the dealer install it all.
this Napolean 1100 is 21 years old. (where did that time go?)
it is in a manufactured home. 1600 Sq Ft . actually built with real 2x6 walls and drywall. drafty as all get-out.
after getting in to this new stove and seeing a nice gasket on the door, I asked about durability - the lady at the stove shop told me to just do the dollar bill check that I swear I just saw someone talking about, even if I can't find it again.
I have done this test at the prep time/start of season, usually just after cleaning the chimney. I have never had the bill be movable without thinking it would tear first, anywhere on the door.
it still looks decent to me, but dark on on the corner in question.
this year on the bottom corner opposite of the hinges, I could move the bill, but just as I was ready to quit pulling, as in just shy of thinking it would tear.
would not fall out on it's own, but fairly easy pull.
is this a for-real test? and does this gasket now need replacing? it floors me to think it could have lasted this long. it is my ONLY heat. as in it goes all winter, usuall early november - and one year into the end of June. (not by me!)
also, looks like after this season I need new bricks inside - other than being a weird Tetris thing - is that a risky thing for a person to do? I recently retired, but still have enough left to have re-roofed the house ( and then painted it! - the house, not the roof.....) by myself this last summer.
Thanks for any advice on this one....

It sounds like the gasket should be replaced at this point. That's a long time, but a credit to a good gasket. Replacing the firebrick should be a fairly straight-forward process. There is no need to replace all of them if some are still in good condition. Installation directions are on page 21 of the manual.

It sounds like the gasket should be replaced at this point. That's a long time, but a credit to a good gasket. Replacing the firebrick should be a fairly straight-forward process. There is no need to replace all of them if some are still in good condition. Installation directions are on page 21 of the manual.
Thanks, I woulda been lazy and waited till next year! on it!

I would replace it with an OEM Napoleon gasket and use RTV silicone (black or red) for the adhesive after thoroughly cleaning the gasket channel. Let it set up overnight.

The timing is perfect, given that we have warmed back up and the rain should quit for a couple days. I will cover the opening with something for the next 24 hours. maybe time to re-brick now! floor ones are pretty bad. and here I thought I was going after a burn pile today.
I took the door off and took it out to the carport to pull the door gasket - and out in that light I can see the glass is off-center and barely making the overlap on the latch side - the gasket for the glass is there, but (opening the can of worms!) - I can gently push on the gasket for the glass and I could take it out I am sure without removing or even loosening the bolts that hold the glass in. pretty much all the way around it.
did heat expansion/cooling retraction wear that out as well? I would hate to think it was not done right from day one.
I never had a stove with a door gasket before this - (scary now to think about) - but I was never impressed with the "full" damper closed operation on this one- but the reburn has always worked best about level one on the draft.
anyway, since I am making the drive to Eugene to the dealer, seems like I should get that gasket as well? I have no doubt I that can line that glass up better than it ever has been. or is this a way fragile- looking for trouble deal?
or is it "normal" ( living this close to Eugene makes normal a very relative term- unless you are talking about my relatives.)

Shipping and gravity can make the heavy glass shift position. The glass clamps are not set tight in order to avoid cracking the glass. Given the age of the glass gasket it may be a good time to replace as well. Ask the dealer whether the stove has convetional clay firebrick or lighter weight pumice firebrick. I can't recall which Napoleon used.

wow, the dealer I bought it from is not the same place as when I bought. new owner, I think.
I have a call in to another shop locally, hoping they call back. not used to rude service departments.
bricks remind me of cinderblocks for weight - but not as light as the panels over the top. getting the vac in to get it really ready to pull apart.
I have a huge pile of "firebricks" I inherited - saving for an outside oven build - and they don't seem as heavy as that.
1 1/4 by 4 by 9, and 1/14 by 3 1/2 by nine for most of the floor. and a couple small pieces for around the ash door. which I never use!
back to clean-up, will at least have the door gasket on today, Jackie picked one up two years ago. I have a feeling that the stove doctor does not do parts, he is more of a labor deal. might be an online order. how hard are those bricks to cut?

ok, well Napoleon won't be on my buy next time list if the only dealer around other than the place I bought isn't any better to deal with. factory will not talk to me. same with the parent company. I won't get nasty about it here.
the new door gasket went on nice - everything else has gone a bit downhill.
since I got told off by the installing dealer - that I do not believe is a Napoleon dealer any more - apparently those that fix their mistakes are too stupid to keep fixing - I have made a couple calls locally - not much to pick from around here - no calls back - I assume they are busy.

I did find a website for the outfit that is supposed to be the Napoleon dealer here now. waiting for responses.
since this is our only heat, and the glass gasket appears fine, I finished loosening the glass hold-downs, moved the glass over to where it belongs, and tightened down gently. I cannot move that gasket easily now. and the glass is no longer at the edge of the opening for the glass at the metal of the door - I think there has been a slight air gap from day one. next lighting may speak volumes. I have never been impressed with the reburn, or the lack of control with the draft. even the old home-builts I have lived with seemed more impressive for control.

frustrating part is the bricks on the floor of the firebox - they are still about 3/4 left on the worst ones - a couple look almost new.
if I don't get a response from the local dealer today about what type of bricks those are, I will be putting the stove back in service and wait till the end of the season to replace them, if I can find out what I need by then. or just use what I think is best, - that has not let me down in 63 years.
in second place - after this forum and Begreen's advice:
efireplacestore.com was the most helpful - especially about the bricks - but they cannot get the spec on them from Napoleon either. they gave me a different number to call. same deal - not a dealer - go away.
since it was engineered and approved a certain way, I prefer to honor that. I will heat my home with or without their top secret info.
this stuff should not be so secret - we buy this type of product to survive the winter - and then they want to hold us hostage that ONLY their service tech can do this. after I repaired the bit of damage after the original install I knew was going to do as much as I am capable of myself.

Replace the floor bricks with standard half-thick, 9" x 4.5" x 1.25" firebricks that you can buy at Home Depot and some lumber and hardware stores.

Reactions: MrCool1
Replace the floor bricks with standard half-thick, 9" x 4.5" x 1.25" firebricks that you can buy at Home Depot and some lumber and hardware stores.

Awesome, thanks! I can get those today.
I need some cut - how hard is it to cut them? I wonder if I know someone with a tile saw.... will call around in a bit for that
with the current forecast I can probably hold of lighting again until Sunday evening - J can't light it until I put it back together!

See if they will cut them for you at Home Depot. Otherwise they can be cut or snapped off by marking, then scoring with a chisel, multiple times and then snapping it off. The trick is to not get too aggressive or hard hitting with the hammer. Or a miter saw can be used, but don't rush it.

thanks so much for the help/advice - you have made a difference for us!
I put the stove door back on yesterday - house never got cool enough to build a fire - this morning, though, it was. I still have to deal with the firebricks when they get here - but wow!
I got a new stove!
I was never impressed with this "reburn" concept - had to lay on the floor to see it - meh.
wow it is pretty awesome now! I have never seen it do this. coming from a old stove/ even junk stove background, I was never going to buy another new one after this - but changing my mind now.
- I believe that the glass had been leaking from the beginning. as in not installed and finished by installers that cared, or maybe were not trained.
I finally got a local place to call me back - I know it is the busy season - but she said they are slammed - like a world record number of calls.
she would have tried to get me in the schedule if I had an emergency. she told me that the new Napoleon dealer in town should be awesome - she knows them - but they are slammed as well. I will get a new glass gasket from them - and probably another spare door gasket - but feeling way better about the expense from 20 years ago now.