Door gasket replacement on Hearthstone Clydesdale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basod

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2009
Mount Cheaha Alabama
Well I knew I should have changed the gasket prior to this seasons burn. Too many other projects/distractions including lots of overtime.
Somehow the GF managed to tear the lower left portion of the gasket yesterday and its all frayed out. I saw a kit from Rutledge at tractor supply a few months back.
I measured the channel ~1/2" so I assume thats what I need. Anyone use the Rutledge kit with successful results, or is the factory gasket a better route?
And should the stove be completely cooled off for installation or is warm OK?

The manual calls for 1/2" low density gasket. It's so much cheaper to buy the rope and a small bottle of cement. I use the clear cement. Don't stretch it when installing it. Not sure about the Clydesdale but the Equinox required me to bunch up the gasket slightly to ensure that it was thick enough. You can do a test by taping the gasket in place and checking how it closes.

Be sure to clean out the old cement. I use a straight blade screwdriver and a wire brush.

Thanks for the help Woodmiser.
Just got done installing the Rutland kit, they only had the black cement.
The Clydesdale has 2 holes at the bottom center that you tuck the gasket end into. Hindsight i probably should have worked right to left, the left haole seemed to be deeper to take any excess slack.
The gasket cement states to work it in the tube to ensure its mixed which I did. But it was near impossible to squirt out until half-way through the tube( Igues i didn't mix it enough).
One tip, don't try to put the cement all the way around, it will be dry before you get to it, One side or section at a time worked great.
Letting it air dry for the recommended 1 hr, and I'll get a small fire going this evening.
I figured out why the original tore where it did, there was a small bit of hardened gum/creosote, stuck to the door face, probably heated up and adhered to the gasket causing the tear when it was opened.
Might have been some sap that fell off the SYP I've running through it the past few weeks, Which when seasoned well seems to put off some serious heat, had the house up to 83 in about 3hrs the other eveneing when it was 36 outside, when I stoked it with the first load after work, the house was around 67.
Nothing like running around the house in your skivies and sweating!

Thanks for sharing your experience. The clear glue comes in a small plastic bottle that has none of those characteristics. Only problem is it's a little runny so you would have had to apply it with an acid brush. You brush it on and wait 15 minutes for it to become tacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.