Door-glass gasket sources

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Greetings campers, and happy 09-10 heating season. First fire around here is typically mid- to late-October so now's the time to get everything ready, and soon spend more time hanging out on Hearth.com . :)

Looking for input on stove glass gasket material. The one on the Nestor Martin X33 door has blown through in a couple places. The original is made from a flimsy, flyweight material (maybe long-fiber ceramic wool?), diecut (talk about material waste!), 1/2" wide and compresses down to almost nothing even with just the glass' weight on it.

Local stove shops only carry the "flat" braided Rutland gaskets, which are very nice but are all too thick. The brackets that hold the glass in place don't have that much play in them.

Any ideas on alternate materials that might work?

Cheers.

Attachments

• x33gaskt.jpg
    x33gaskt.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 261
Did you try stretching the Rutland flat gasket to make it thinner?
We use it on most fireglass applications. I gets pretty thin when you stretch it.
Other than that, I have seen the white stuff that looks like what you have in your unit, but the name of it escapes me (CRS Syndrome)...
Did you Google Nestor Martin to find a dealer in your area?

Hi BG, I hope all is well with you. A local dealer had a spool of that stuff too, it's like the Rutland - too thick and doesn't compress down enough. But thanks for the idea.

DAKSY said:
Did you try stretching the Rutland flat gasket to make it thinner?
We use it on most fireglass applications. I gets pretty thin when you stretch it.
Hmmm... this stuff doesn't stretch much at all.
Did you Google Nestor Martin to find a dealer in your area?
(holding back laughter) None within 500 miles... or more. The line is a tough sell.

It so happens Nestor Martin changed the door frame design some time after mine was made and went to a thicker gasket. The distributor only has the new material.

Hey there Precaud. Yeah, I thought that might be braided. Perhaps slice some thin ceramic insulation? Or maybe look into some high temp ceramic tapes by 3M? Nextel 312 is about 2 cm x .5mm and very high temp. Problem is that it's sold in big rolls for wrapping high temp pipes. Know any steam boiler guys or someone working on outer space equipment? :) Los Alamos surplus?

Yeah, I think improvising with ceramic wool might be the place to start. I have a roll of 1/4" 6 lb. density. I just checked and I think it will compress down enough.

Know any steam boiler guys or someone working on outer space equipment? Los Alamos surplus?

I make my living refurbing surplus from Los Alamos and Sandia labs and always keep an eye out for high-temp stuff. Problem is, when they excess stuff like that, it's humongous in size and/or quantity. I recently had to pass on 20+ pallets of 6" thick foil-faced high-temp ceramic insulation, no place to store it. Sigh.

Thanks Dave, that's pricey stuff. I like Gasket Guy's idea of high-temp welding cloth. The 1/4" wool strips should do until I can locate something like that.

precaud said:
Thanks Dave, that's pricey stuff. I like Gasket Guy's idea of high-temp welding cloth. The 1/4" wool strips should do until I can locate something like that.

yes, whitfield parts have gone up alot in price since lennox took over....

Status
Not open for further replies.