Door Glass Gasket trouble - VC 2550 Cat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyhop

Jul 14, 2013
Newton, NC
Putting in new gaskets on Encore 2550 today. Have Gasket Kit from VC (#3419).
One of the clip screws holding in the glass snapped off. Critical to remove and replace? Help on how to remove? Thanks in advance.

yeah, the clip needs to be there definitely. So get a center punch and make a mark dead center on the broken screw that's still in the door. Drill carefully a 1/8" hole till you've gone through the screw, then "chase" your pilot hole with a 5/32" bit again carefully! Run a 10-24 tap through your hole and you should be good to go. Remember to use oil to tap, turn it in like 1-2 turns then back off 1/2 turn. Repeat until you hit bottom.

Good luck, but this isn't too hard to do. Really. All hardware stores have this stuff, and if you buy the tap it'll likely come with the appropriate drill bit too though may not be 5/32".

Use a flat bottom tap, not a tapered tap.

I appreciate the input. I'll drill it out tomorrow.

Anything special about 10/24 screw to replace the one I snapped? Does it need to be stainless or something?

Thanks again.

Hardware grade is fine, but maybe invest in some " Never-sieze" or similar. Stainless is less likely to break, but if it does it's a PITA!!

Status
Not open for further replies.