Doors Open on a High Efficient Fireplace (Not stove)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

antexity

Apr 28, 2021
Manitoba, Canada
I have a question which I can't seem to get the answers in store:

We are looking at the following large high efficient fireplaces:

Napolean NZ6000 - Has a screen, can be left open?
Valcourt - FP15A Waterloo
BIS - Montecito Estate

I can get a screen for the NZ6000 and can I leave the door open? However, the reviews on an NZ6000 are not the best from what I am reading. While the BIS and Valcourt, great reviews everywhere but doors must remain closed??

My requirements, most cases, I will leave the doors closed for heating purposes, but what I also want, in a blue moon when the flames are lower, I may want to roast hot dogs or marshmallows with the kids once in a while for fun or other days just hear the crackling. Can that be done with a high efficient fireplace without smoke, or bad toxins coming in?

Hoping you guys can shed some light on this for me, please.

Thank you in advance!
Jon

I have a question which I can't seem to get the answers in store:

We are looking at the following large high efficient fireplaces:

Napolean NZ6000 - Has a screen, can be left open?
Valcourt - FP15A Waterloo
BIS - Montecito Estate

I can get a screen for the NZ6000 and can I leave the door open? However, the reviews on an NZ6000 are not the best from what I am reading. While the BIS and Valcourt, great reviews everywhere but doors must remain closed??

My requirements, most cases, I will leave the doors closed for heating purposes, but what I also want, in a blue moon when the flames are lower, I may want to roast hot dogs or marshmallows with the kids once in a while for fun or other days just hear the crackling. Can that be done with a high efficient fireplace without smoke, or bad toxins coming in?

Hoping you guys can shed some light on this for me, please.

Thank you in advance!
Jon
I would do it, maybe 30 minutes or so. Have a well heated chimney first, maybe crack a window to aid draft.