Double wall pipe heat slots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodworm21

Aug 23, 2017
Canada
My brother just installed a new flue pipe for his Flame wood stove that is double walled. I'm not familiar with DBL walled pipe always have had single. Anyways this particular brand is called security and it has little heat/vent slots all along the bottom rim on the outside pipe of each length. This is designed to dissipate more heat etc. The only problem is: there is an adapter (Maybe 6") connecting the stove (collar) to the first length of pipe. When the fire is going you can see the flames through the little heat slots in the bottom of the first section just above where it connects to the adapter. This seems problematic. Why are we seeing the flames from the firebox outside of the inner pipe and if we can see flames that also means smoke and harmful fumes can also seep out into the room? Any thoughts? After further inspection the inner and out walls are crimped together at the end of the length but it isn't tight (bit of a gap between the two)

Just shooting from the hip here, but perhaps the adapter is on backwards? the inner pipe should be able to drain any liquid creosote back into the stove.

I'm also thinking it may be that the two walls are meant to be crimped around at the bottom and they are not? Just grasping at straws here.

So from what I gather reading the instructions, there should be (2) adapters, a chimney adapter and the stove collar adapter, the stove collar adapter is optional, only needed if the stove collar is to thick for the chimney pipe to fit over. This adapter according to the illustration provided looks to be one way fit with the beveled end pointing up. Perhaps try fitting the pipe over the collar without the adapter? Also on the telescopic piece the fatter end of the pipe is the high side, the thinner section gets pulled towards the stove.

Pictures. You should not be able to see the fire inside the stove through the flue collar attachment.

Ventilated double wall dissipates a lot of heat, more than single wall pipe due to the convection air movement through the slits. It should have vents top and bottom of each section of pipe. The only place it wouldn't appear this way is with a slip section, but both pieces of a slip section are essentially one pipe. So still has vents top and bottom.

I remember this distinctly from classes. Double wall ventilated will have the greatest temperature drop over any other approved connecting pipe measuring the input temp and comparing to the output temp. It gives reduced certified clearances but also reduced performance and more potential for creosote buildup. It does not have the benefits of keeping a warm flue like are commonly attributed to non-ventilated double wall.

What stove is this hooked to that you're seeing flame in the pipe six inches or so above the flue collar?

Good pictures would really help. My thoughts or guess. The stovepipe is 6", the opening in the stove is 8" (or something like this, the numbers and specific size are a guess). If the bottom flange is dropped into the stove fitting like an 8" pipe the outer pipe is vented INTO the stove. This would allow flame that should be going through the inner pipe to exit through the air gap area. If I am correct I can not stress how unsafe this is. Both from a burn down your house concern and from a smoke being pumped into your house concern (you may wake up dead in the morning).

This is a Flame diplomat wood stove. Older model. And it is a 6 inch collar, adapter fitting correctly. The problem isn't the adapter. Where the telescopic pipe connects to the adapter: there isn't a tight fit. Like the inner sleeve of the telescopic pipe isn't manufactured properly to fit tightly with the adapter portion. Where the adapter slides up into the pipe its a sloppy fit. Through this slight gap around the circumference (touching tight in places, gaps in others) is where you can see down into the firebox through the little slots. I will add pics when I can get them.