Double wall pipe inside clay lined chimney, no good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jake3222

Oct 29, 2017
CT
i have installed a double wall metal asbestos 6” (stainless exterior grade) inside of my 12” clay lined (in very good condition) chimney, told big mistake, anybody else done the same thing.

It will be fine. Typically these days you would use a single wall liner and often they insulate that. Years ago they just used the clay liner, then it was single wall inside the clay, then insulated single wall inside clay. Never heard of double wall inside clay but it isn't going to hurt anything and you had the pipe.

Details? Inside diameter of the clay liner left me with 2" all the way around. Seems reasonable to me and the stove burns clean. What's the issue with the installation?

Not sure if it's an issue... maybe I am not following your application.
You put an insulated pipe, inside of a good clay lined chimney... is that correct?
My only question would be "why"?
I have used a wood stove, a coal stove, and now a pellet stove,
in my same masonry chimney for ~35 years..
Never had an issue with any of them.

Dan