Double Wall Pipe VS. Wall Heat Shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Use double wall pipe. You are supposed to heat with the stove, not the pipe, right?

If for no other reason, use it because it accumulates less crud and the crud that does condense on it is easier to bush off. It is shiny stainless inside rather than plain steel that gets rusty and rough. Use a plastic brush or soot eater on it, not a metal brush.

I did not like double wall, at first. It was the chimney pro that installed my chimney that convinced me to use double wall. I did the stove and stove pipe install, he did the chimney install. He convinced me by "giving" me some double wall stove pipe.

Now, I would not go back to single wall... at least not in this house. 12' ceiling means a long run of stove pipe to get to the chimney.