Double walled pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctluba

Sep 3, 2013
Hey Guys,

I am moving this question from my "new guy" thread.

I have three pipe flus in my house that are in a wooden structure. One flu is for the furnace, one flu is for the fire place and the third flu is not used. The third unused flu comes out in the cellar near the furnace. I want to put in a wood burning stove and I was considering putting it in the cellar or in front of the fire place.

My question, are either of the flu pipes in these pics double walled stove pipe adquate for a wood stove??

They both appear to be "double walled" but I dont see any insulation. Dont know if that matters.

Any pipe info appreciated. Lets here from you pipe gurus!!!! Thanx guys.

The top of the unused pipe that comes out in the cellar with the cap off

Where the pipes comes out in the cellar

The three flu structure

The top of the fire place flu, the center cap.

The fire place flu with the cap lifted. It is like a six inch center pipe with what looks to be about six inches of clearance all the way around to the outside pipe. That seems like a HUGE clearance to me.

The ugly fire place.

Last edited:
The first pipe is air-cooled and not ok for use with a wood stove. I have no idea what is happening in the second case with the fireplace. That is odd. Almost looks like a liner.

Thanx for the input. Back to the drawing board.

This whole thing is way more complicated then I ever imagined!! Oh well. I may just have a rep from a local place come out and explain my options. Just a bit leary though that he will steer me to a product they just happen to sell!!! I will let u guys know how I make out.

Thanx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.