downdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog

Dec 27, 2007
minnesota
could someone please explain this to me,,, i pulled of the pipe elbow from stove to chimney, and cold air is hitting me in the face, why does the draft come down the chimney? i understand the cold air comes in until its heated then the draft will go up , i guess what im saying do all chimneys do this when cold, and also it leaves a very bad smell in the basement , what is wrong if anything and what can i do to stop this,,,,,, i do have a chimney cap on

The basement is the lowest pressure zone in the house. Air travels from a higher pressure to a lower pressure. Its just mother nature trying to keep balance. Unless you use an expensive makeup air system on your furnace to positively pressurize the house you will usually get air coming down the chimney when not in use especially in a basement. It always leaks in the easiest path first, which often is the 6" tube running up the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.