DR 5-ton Electric Log Splitter - Noise when Idle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

3Darchitect

Jul 6, 2020
Milwaukee, WI
Hello all!

Hoping someone can weigh in on a problem I'm having. I bought a used DR 5-ton electric log splitter about a year ago. I don't have the exact age, but the manual was printed in 2006 and the model isn't made anymore. The splitter works fine except it that it makes an unsettling noise when the ram is sitting back in the idle position. The best way I can describe it is an increased whining. When I move the ram forward and when its splitting it sounds fine. I just topped off the hydraulic fluid and made sure that the bleed screw is open. Admittedly there was at least once when I ran the splitter and forgot to open the bleed screw - did this cause permanent damage?

I'll try to attach or link a video that I took showing the noise.

Last edited: