Draft and burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bone1099

Jan 5, 2009
Northwest GA
I have a VC Vigilant direct connected to a clayliner chimney. draft seems to be ok and yes i know already that it would provide more draft to install an insulated liner to the top. My question is if i increase my draft will it increase my burn times and temps or will the stove just react a bit more quickly to air changes. How long should it take to reach max temp? Driving me crazy shoveling out ashes daily!!!

Bone1099 said:
How long should it take to reach max temp? Driving me crazy shoveling out ashes daily!!!

Well, since no one has tackled this....different stove, but it takes me ~25 min. to get to 600+ stove top.

Draft increase means easier startup as well as improved burn characteristics. I am not sure that it will have any affect on your ash content. Maybe a more complete burn?? Dunno. You must be going through two wheel barrows a day of wood to create that much ash.

Not really burning that much wood. Seems to burn it completely. Not alot of unburned coals just seems like firebox is a bit small. Im used to a fisher insert huge firebox.

Is this an Older Vigilant?

If so, the bottom layer between the grates should be full of ash, at least 1inch or so thick. I think its to help prevent warping of that bottom panel. I was told by someone to clean it all out and fill the bottom with sand, basically to the top of those grates. Sounds crazy but it works. I did it and it seams to help the stove stabalize temp easier, I also only clean the ash with a shovel thats wider then those grates so I don't dig up all that sand.

Also Bone, it will depend on how you set the draft. Leave it open too far and the heat goes up the chimney and the wood will burn up fast. Once the fire is going good you should be closing the draft part way. How far depends upon the stove and the wood you are burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.