Draft Problems Again. :-(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quick way to get heat up a block or SS chimney that works every time.

If your fortunate enough to have a metal coffee can with a plastic lid at home-

1. Fill the coffee can half full or more with charcoal briquettes and soak them liberally with lighter fluid.

2. let it soak into the briquettes overnight(or afew hours if you are short on a fire starter.

3. Remove 6-8 briquettes and place them on two or three full sheets of news paper.

4. If you have a 4 pound hammer break the briquettes with the long flat side of the hammer
being the top flat and the briquettes will begin to break up continue this until
the briquettes are all broken and in small pieces.

5. Roll the news print into a tube making sure the broken briquettes are along the short edge and not
spilling out from the news paper tube.

6. Fold the open ends of the news print tube under each end and then place the tube of news print
in the fire box. use a Bernz-O-Matic Fat Boy Torch to light the paper tube and continue lighting it for a minute or so.

7. The briquettes will be burning fully by now and you can add small splits to begin a bigger fire.

Short of buying bags of matchlite briquettes-or off brand match lit briquettes it is less costly to do it this way.

Here is a quick way to get heat up a block or SS chimney that works every time.

If your fortunate enough to have a metal coffee can with a plastic lid at home-

1. Fill the coffee can half full or more with charcoal briquettes and soak them liberally with lighter fluid.

2. let it soak into the briquettes overnight(or afew hours if you are short on a fire starter.

3. Remove 6-8 briquettes and place them on two or three full sheets of news paper.

4. If you have a 4 pound hammer break the briquettes with the long flat side of the hammer
being the top flat and the briquettes will begin to break up continue this until
the briquettes are all broken and in small pieces.

5. Roll the news print into a tube making sure the broken briquettes are along the short edge and not
spilling out from the news paper tube.

6. Fold the open ends of the news print tube under each end and then place the tube of news print
in the fire box. use a Bernz-O-Matic Fat Boy Torch to light the paper tube and continue lighting it for a minute or so.

7. The briquettes will be burning fully by now and you can add small splits to begin a bigger fire.

Short of buying bags of matchlite briquettes-or off brand match lit briquettes it is less costly to do it this way.

I'm sure that way would work. Go through a good bit of charcoal. Is it okay to burn that stuff in a wood furnace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup its only wood. If you can cook on it you certainly can burn it in a furnace. Also the more you have the door or ashpan open the LESS draft you get.

yup its only wood. If you can cook on it you certainly can burn it in a furnace. Also the more you have the door or ashpan open the LESS draft you get.

Good to know. I was always thought to open the ashpan door until it gets going. Now this furnace does say not to but I thought that was more of a so you can't forget about it issue. This one has spinners on the door that really aren't supposed to be used for wood. In the manual it says to only use the loading door spinners for coal. And use the bi-metallic damper on the side for wood.

That's right, coal needs air from under the fire to burn...wood will burn just fine like that too, BUT, it doesn't last as long...air from over top a wood fire draws the length of the burn out...and you may get some secondary burn when the furnace is on high fire too

That is true, kust a crack though. The draft may not be as high but the volume of air is more.

I was going to suggest he contact you about the dwyer but i figured you would be sold out. The one I bought from you is working great BTW.
Nah, I still have some...I have only been advertising them on the forum(s) so I just adopt one out here n there...good to here yours has found a lovin home amongst its many brothers n sisters ;)

Yup,mounted right on the side of the Kuuma. Nice that flue temps are low enough that I can keep the hose hooked right up to the barb and not have to use any metal tubing.

and you may get some secondary burn when the furnace is on high fire too

That was one of my questions. It has air tubes that go over the top of the fire. And a secondary chamber on on top of the fire. Without a window I have no idea if i get a secondary burn or not. Or where to set the air to get one. I know the company claims it was designed to have one. But like I said I don't know if I'm getting one. I know all the smoke coming out has been white wafty smoke.

Nice that flue temps are low enough that I can keep the hose hooked right up to the barb and not have to use any metal tubing
No kidding?! Impressive...

It has air tubes that go over the top of the fire. And a secondary chamber on on top of the fire. Without a window I have no idea if i get a secondary burn or not. Or where to set the air to get one
Oh, that's right, I forgot this machine had that. Well, you should get "the burn" then...but only after the firebox is up to temp when burning good dry wood...no idea how to set the air controls...the secondary air probably has no adjustment, it often doesn't.

Oh, that's right, I forgot this machine had that. Well, you should get "the burn" then...but only after the firebox is up to temp when burning good dry wood...no idea how to set the air controls...the secondary air probably has no adjustment, it often doesn't.

Right it has an opening at the bottom of the fire box. I didn't know it was there until smoke came out yesterday during my draft problems. I will try to get pictures later this week. If nothing else you guys can see an unusual machine. Maybe someone can make some suggestions on how to properly run it. And maybe make some improvements.

Ok Lcback, this is for you. Lots of pics of my cold startup with drafts. I have a 30 ft exterior stainless chimney. Hope the pics come in order. If not, it starts at +.01 then basement door open 2 inches. .00 starting fire with torch. 5 pieces 1x1x6 dimensional hardwood lumber. Ash pan open 1/4 inch. Small fire to warm things up, I like to start slow from stone cold. -.03 Then load some wood. After 1 minute -.055 bd damper doing its job. Lastly a pic for @brenndatomu of the conection.

Attachments

• 20161106_210224.jpg
    20161106_210224.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 20161106_210330.jpg
    20161106_210330.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 20161106_210541.jpg
    20161106_210541.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 147
  • 20161106_210958.jpg
    20161106_210958.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 154
The rest.

Attachments

• 20161106_213227.jpg
    20161106_213227.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 20161106_213616.jpg
    20161106_213616.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20161106_213644.jpg
    20161106_213644.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 20161106_213718.jpg
    20161106_213718.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 119
Very cool. Thanks for the proof. Nice to know it happens no matter how tall your chimney. 30ft wow.
Maybe I will try a heat gun. A guy at work has one from harbor freight that he lights charcoal with. It ought to put out a lot of heat with no smoke before the wood lights.

Ok Lcback, this is for you. Lots of pics of my cold startup with drafts. I have a 30 ft exterior stainless chimney. Hope the pics come in order. If not, it starts at +.01 then basement door open 2 inches. .00 starting fire with torch. 5 pieces 1x1x6 dimensional hardwood lumber. Ash pan open 1/4 inch. Small fire to warm things up, I like to start slow from stone cold. -.03 Then load some wood. After 1 minute -.055 bd damper doing its job. Lastly a pic for @brenndatomu of the conection.

What do you have the baro damper set for? I fooled around recently with my oil boiler and it recommends -.02" "over the fire" and -.04 at the breeching, although both my numbers were the same, so I left them at -.02. I don't recall what my pellet boiler is.

-.055 My unit calls for -.04 to -.06 recommends -.06

Status
Not open for further replies.