safinnart Posted By safinnart, Dec 8, 2018 at 10:03 AM

1. safinnart

safinnart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2018
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I just had a vermont castings Intrepid stove installed in my workshop. New pipe going straight up thru the roof but is only 12 feet above stove. I found online that with this stove you need 16 feet of pipe above stove for proper draft. If I put another pipe on I would be 8 feet above roof and would need braces too. In the meantime I have a Tempwood stove I can hook up. Anyone know if this would have the same draft problem?

2. gzecc

gzecc
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2008
    Loc:
    NNJ
    I had a similar problem in the past. I determined that 15' is the minimum height for a good draw.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. safinnart

safinnart
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2018
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
  4. coaly

coaly
    Fisher Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Loc:
    NE PA
    Have you tried it?
    How high is the ceiling before chimney support box?
    Same diameter chimney flue as stove outlet?
    Double wall "pack type" chimney sections or triple wall?
    If you have a metal roof you can eliminate the spark screen to increase draft slightly.
    Using double wall pipe inside has much less loss allowing hotter flue gasses into chimney creating more draft. Extending chimney sections is required if higher than 8 feet from stove. Adding a section below the support box in place of connector pipe is almost as good as extending it higher.

Many times the manual will specify a minimum chimney height due to being tested with that height chimney for UL listing purposes, not due to needing that height for correct operation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...