Draft trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Looksharp74

Jan 8, 2021
New York
Happy New Year everyone.
I have a question. I have a country legacy C260GL
Wood stove insert and had it professionally installed 15 years ago or so with a stainless steel liner and haven’t had to much trouble. The company went out of business and I since then hired a local chimney sweep to service and clean it. Things were great until last season. He advised me that my ceramic blanket was torn and needed to be replaced. He changed it for me but after I experienced some smoke coming out into the house. I removed the baffling and fire brick on the top of the stove and cleaned everything really good. I did notice that the ceramic blanket that was put in had a stainless steel on one side . Put everything back together and it was good. This fall he cleaned it again and told me everything looks great. After a few fires I’m getting a really lot of blow back into the room. I open the damper all the way and crack the door to create a draft and even with a hot fire I still get a lot of smoke.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Do the same thing you did to remedy it the first time it acted up? Dunno. Seems reasonable.....

Check and make sure that the blanket is laying flat and not bunching up near the flue outlet.

I’m pretty sure the one he removed wasn’t either.
He showed me the rip and I don’t remember seeing it either. Hmmmmm
Here ya go. I don’t think I’m putting it back in.

Attachments

• 52D412B0-E5C9-43BE-B862-5C3AB3BE89E9.jpeg
    52D412B0-E5C9-43BE-B862-5C3AB3BE89E9.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 105
That is not the right stuff. It looks like the metal foil is puckering making it not lie flat. Get some 1" kaowool (ceramic fiber) blanket material and trim to size.

That is not the right stuff. It looks like the metal foil is puckering making it not lie flat. Get some 1" kaowool (ceramic fiber) blanket material and trim to size.
Thanks. I ordered it today. I couldn’t figure out why things weren’t going good. It’s been a great stove and has been awesome in the past. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.