Draft, will another 3-4 feet help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazeedan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 14, 2006
SW Michigan
I have a homestead hearth mounted with 13 feet of insulated Duraliner. 13 is the min. hight for stack with this stove. It's my first year burning this setup. Liner is clean I've popped the cap. I have noticed when the temp above 30 I don't have a good draft. A little smoke rolls out when opening the door,unless I have a blazing open the windows fire. But when it's a little colder the draft is a lot better. What's your thoughts? Should I add a 3 or 4 ft piece?

Thanks
Dan

Is it two feet higher than anything within ten feet and three feet above where it comes through the roof? That is the general rule of thumb, but there are lots of variables ie prevailing winds, local air currents, temp, humidity etc... Most chimneys seem to draw better in colder temps, and warm wet days are the worst. I think the only way to find out is to try adding a piece and see what happens.

Reggie

It's just over 3 ft higher than the peak.

With a chimney of that length, 3 or 4 feet will make a decent difference. This is less true for a taller chimney - say going from 21 to 24 feet would not do as much. But since you are on the cusp of having decent draft, this will probably make things happen.

Also, check the usual stuff - like is there enough combustion air in the room?

Make certain interior pipes have furnace cement in-between the joints (or that they fit very tightly).

I don't think it's a combustion air issue for i've had this happen with a window open in the room. I used high temp caulk on the T when I put together and the adjustable sleeve between the T and the oval to round. So I guess I might add a piece to the stack. I really don't want to make it so tall I can't look down When I pop the cap.

Thanks
Dan

I too have a Homestead and my chimney is roughly 18 feet, from the top of the stove, to the cap outside the house. My chimney is also in the center of my house, where all but the last 5 feet is enclosed in the house. Maybe the extra length would help. Where is the chimney located? I have not had any draft issues with my stove in the 3 years I have had it, so maybe there is something different with the setup between mine and yours. Do you have any pictures of you chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.