Drainage problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog2o02

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Soooo, i live on the side of a hill, the back of my house faces up the hill. Its pretty steep. When it rains alot we get water through the block on one corner of my house, in the back, at the hill. The downspouts dump right in this spot which doesnt help but the area behind my house has some ponding at the same time as the leakage.

The question is what system of rocks and perforated pipe should i use to drain my swapy area out back and tie the downspouts into it to take the roof water away?

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I suspect a majority of your problem is those downspouts. Do something, even temporary, to route those buggers around the home to the low side.

Do not tie downspouts into a perforated footing drain. You will then be pumping roof water into the exact place you want to be rid of water. Use a separate sealed pipe for the downspouts.

Thanks for that. Good point I hadn't thought about

Bobdog,
I just finished the exact same project. My backyard is at the bottom of the hill of our property. To compound problems our bulkhead is raised about an inch off the ground. So, any rain water will fill up the yard and flow down the bulkhead stairs. What I did was bury 4 inch PVC pipe from the downspouts and ran it about 50 feet out toward the road. I tied the two north side of the house corner's downspouts to one drain and the 2 south side corner downspouts into another drain. My ultimate plan is to tie a french drain(perforated pipe) from the middle of the yard into the solid pipe to get it all away from the house, and also tie my sump pump drain pipe into it also. Right now it is just a flexible pipe laying on the ground. I find that 70% of the yard water is from those downspouts though, so that's why i started there. It took me 2 days one weekend and maybe $100 in supplies to do the whole job, not to bad. I will try and get you some pics if it helps. Feel free to ask any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.