Drill bits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Can anybody recommend a good bang for the buck set of twist bits?

I’ve been using the Harbor Freight Titanium cheapies and am sick of them dulling, then breaking. Primary drilling material is into mild steel. Using a little oil when drilling doesn’t significantly extend the life.

Since they are a work tool, they will get lost and/or broken, so forever drill bits aren’t a good match here.

Any mid priced sets you have liked?

I bought mine at Amazon . Entire drill index from 1/16” up to 1/2” , number & letter115 pcs…haven’t broken one yet. Had it 2+ years…

IMG_5469.jpeg

I bit the bullet a few year back and bought a set of Irwin Cobalt drill bits. Sure I have broken one or two but they hold an edge for much longer than the cheap ones and dont break as often. Titanium coating used to mean something but these days it just a way of making cheap low alloy bits sound expensive. Harbor Freight is somewhat infamous for crappy cutting tools. I have an entire drill index, fraction, letter and number someone gave me and every one of them gets dull the first time I use it. When I break a bit and need one, I end up paying a lot more for one lower quality bit at the hardware store so the entire set with case is not that badly priced. I also have taken to restocking the every spring when Hamilton Marine has their 20% off sale.

Amazon product ASIN B000BO9JMK

I use Diablo saws-all, and circular blades. I've used one of their masonry bits. If their steel cutting bits are as good, I wouldn't hesitate spending a few extra bucks. Their other products I use seem to last forever.

Could always learn to sharpen bits with a bench grinder. I take used bits from work to practice on and ive gotten decent at it. If you’re going to replace the dull bit might as well give it a shot.

Reactions: ozarkoak
I was just turned onto carbide toothed sawzall blades. They last a lot longer than the standard blades. They’re pricey though.

I’ll be checking into those bits!

They last a lot longer than the standard blades.
Pricey, but you hit the nail on the head. If your whole post was referring to the Diablo products.
It's all I buy for that reason. They outlast other competitors 3:1, with some makers lasting even less. I save a few bucks more in the end.

Tip: When I use one of their saws-all blades for thick metal, I save them for lighter duty stuff. Thinks like fence posts and other light wall tubing. I get a little more out of them before disposing. So, yea ..... I absolutely get my money back.

Reactions: weee123
Me i just learn how to sharpen bits, used to sharpen on a bench grinder and now just use a drill doctor. Have had the same buts for 20 years and when i purchased them they were just cheap bits.

I watched it through once but can’t remember