Drinking & Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
In a recent post I mentioned that I was enjoying a drink while my stove was running one of its first burns of the season. A number of other members discussed a regional variation on what I was drinking. Just curious what folks like to sip once the stove is cruising on a quiet evening.

My go to drinks tend to be whisky based; Hot Toddy and an Old Fashioned, but a rum and cider Stone Fence makes an appearance.

What say you

I tend to live life on the edge with Swiss Miss, with marshmallows. My latest box advertises 33% extra per packet. 'Cause I like it strong!

It was bourbon or gin a year ago. Now it's a beer or 4.

Reactions: JamesGuido
Usually a good scotch, bourbon or Irish whiskey, neat.

Reactions: yooperdave
Depends - usually go to the browns for the winter - rye, splash of water and ice. Tonight its port.

Reactions: Northern NH Mike
White wine on the rocks :)

I tend to live life on the edge with Swiss Miss, with marshmallows. My latest box advertises 33% extra per packet. 'Cause I like it strong!
I prefer to eat the Swiss Miss with marshmallows right from the can. Nice crunchy fudgy treat. For drink it’s either my well water, Powerade, or lemon Brisk.

one of the b's. beer or bourbon. porters or (knob creek or michters)

Coffee.....

Then there are times i may tip a couple beers. I usually don't drink much during the winter months.

A nice dark beer.

Reactions: moresnow
I've recently enjoyed swapping out bourbon for rye in a few drinks.
My son is educating me on the finer points of spirits. I got him a Japanese whiskey that was excellent. Suntori Toki.

Reactions: charger4406
My son is educating me on the finer points of spirits. I got him a Japanese whiskey that was excellent. Suntori Toki.
My brother in law is a real fan of Japanese whisky. I will be sampling some this Thanksgiving.

Depends. Beer, wine (red). Bourbon, cognac, some (most not) rum. A little. Gotta be able to swing the axe safely after all.

I have one hard and fast rule. No alcohol before using a chain saw. After the sawing is done, a little is OK when splitting or stacking.

I have one hard and fast rule. No alcohol before using a chain saw. After the sawing is done, a little is OK when splitting or stacking.
I adopted the same rule for any big project, including moving a stove. Years ago I invited a bunch of friends over to repair a carpenter ant damaged corner of the cabin I was staying in, offering free beer and pizza. Big mistake. The demolition got done and by that point they were too drunk to proceed and were making a mess of the job. I sent them home and the next day a sober friend and I worked on the repairs. Now the beer and pizza come out when the job is done and all that's left is cleanup.

The past few years I've noticed that after a session with the chain saw and maul I feel like I've gotten run over by a truck. A taste of whisky or two usually helps settle things later that evening.

Reactions: enordy and woodey
The past few years I've noticed that after a session with the chain saw and maul I feel like I've gotten run over by a truck. A taste of whisky or two usually helps settle things later that evening.
It sure doesn’t hurt. Heading back to your state again next week and will be sure to restock on the good stuff.